Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,776

1 members and 2,775 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: DIY activities?

Registered User Freddiesinmyseat's Avatar
    Thanks

DIY activities?

Was curious to know what kinds of toys and exercise "equipment" people have made for their feeders.

I've been considering making run wheels using 1/4" hardware cloth and "craft rings" from crafting stores.

Also, was curious about chew alternatives. I don't feel like spending $5 on a pack of 4 sticks from a pet store...anyone found any pet store chew alternatives or maybe a fun way for your feeders to enjoy their chew time?

Thanks in advance!
    -Fade
    Visit my blog sometime! Fadere's Cirque du Chaos
    0.2 Normal Ball (Buttery McMuffintop aka Freddie, Slender Q. Thunderpants aka Slim)
    0.1 DSH Housecat (Loki aka Wafflenoggin)

Thanks

Re: DIY activities?

I'm glad you asked this. I have two species of snakes that are prone to hepatic lipidosis so I try to setup my environment so my feeders are as lean and muscular as possible--that means lots of stuff for them to explore and exercise on.

I have mice and ASF's as feeders and they are pretty easy keep entertained.

For things you can make, you have a lot of options. Tubes from inside paper towels, empty cardboard boxes, 'dig boxes' made out of a shoebox and filled with shredded paper (you can even hide a few treats in there, gives them something to forage for), pvc pipes, empty egg cartons--basically they can hide or tunnel through. If it's hot outside, I fill a little dish with water and put in some frozen peas and let them fish for them (it's pretty entertaining to watch). If they are in an aquarium or wire cage you can also briad ropes out of fleece or similar and suspend them from the ceiling; younger animals like to climb and swing on them like little monkeys.

For chews, I have given mine some left over chicken bones, pieces of rawhide/bully sticks that are too small for the dogs to safely eat and hard dog biscuits. They also love day old 'everything' bagels from our local bagel store (sometimes they just give them away for free).

I also have some sterilized rocks for them to climb around on and a very deep layer of substrate for the ASF's so they can make their tunnel systems. I also use some cabinet shelves in the larger aquariums to make a second level and have a popsicle-stick type ladder for them to reach it, ASF's and mice both like to climb if given the opportunity.I did buy wheels from the petstore though, those are the thing they enjoy the most so I would find a way to make/buy some if you possibly can.

Good luck!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do not provide toys or chew sticks to my feeders and I have zero issue, they are either busy breeding or busy taking care of their babies.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

wow, lots of great ideas. thanks for the response, was definitely what I was looking for lol. I might have to try some of the ropes run across the mesh in my bins as well as the burrowing boxes.

I was also considering making a maze of some sort...try and see if I can breed smarter mice or something...lol! it'd be kind of neat to have a labyrinth for them to roam around and find snacks and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by cobweb2000 View Post
    I'm glad you asked this. I have two species of snakes that are prone to hepatic lipidosis so I try to setup my environment so my feeders are as lean and muscular as possible--that means lots of stuff for them to explore and exercise on.

I have mice and ASF's as feeders and they are pretty easy keep entertained.

For things you can make, you have a lot of options. Tubes from inside paper towels, empty cardboard boxes, 'dig boxes' made out of a shoebox and filled with shredded paper (you can even hide a few treats in there, gives them something to forage for), pvc pipes, empty egg cartons--basically they can hide or tunnel through. If it's hot outside, I fill a little dish with water and put in some frozen peas and let them fish for them (it's pretty entertaining to watch). If they are in an aquarium or wire cage you can also briad ropes out of fleece or similar and suspend them from the ceiling; younger animals like to climb and swing on them like little monkeys.

For chews, I have given mine some left over chicken bones, pieces of rawhide/bully sticks that are too small for the dogs to safely eat and hard dog biscuits. They also love day old 'everything' bagels from our local bagel store (sometimes they just give them away for free).

I also have some sterilized rocks for them to climb around on and a very deep layer of substrate for the ASF's so they can make their tunnel systems. I also use some cabinet shelves in the larger aquariums to make a second level and have a popsicle-stick type ladder for them to reach it, ASF's and mice both like to climb if given the opportunity.I did buy wheels from the petstore though, those are the thing they enjoy the most so I would find a way to make/buy some if you possibly can.

Good luck!
    0.2 Normal Ball (Buttery McMuffintop aka Freddie, Slender Q. Thunderpants aka Slim)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I do not provide toys or chew sticks to my feeders and I have zero issue, they are either busy breeding or busy taking care of their babies.
    good to know that I'd be set either way ^^

I think I'm being kind of selfish though, I'm doing this more as something for me to do rather than the mice lol!

I rather enjoy the DIY part of breeding and I like to see what I'm capable of accomplishing. I'm still building my breeder bins up, have 2 16 qts made, have 2 more in the process as well as some 6 qts for "quarantine" or whatever (they were the initial ones I made as more of a practice lol) and I'll be making 2 28 qts as well for the weanlings to grow in.

I guess I kind of figure, if the mouse's sole purpose is to die in the grips of Freddie, then it might as well have an enjoyable life in the mean time. Kind of a karma thing perhaps. Dunno lol.