Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,499

3 members and 1,496 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Dubia vs Turkistan Roaches

I currently have a colony of Turkistan Roaches but if you read my thread from yesterday I keep having problems with the Turks escaping. I caught three of them last night running through the house which is not good lol. I was considering switching to another species and heard that Dubia are good. I need something to feed a veiled chameleon and a leopard gecko that will not be able to escape. Any suggestions on a good species?

Thanks

Re: Dubia vs Turkistan Roaches

Well I use to breed both and found that Turks muply way faster. It takes i'd say mybe 1 1/2 months fr Dubia to reproduce. Turks escape easy, but if it keeps happening I suggest maybe putting Vasoline around there tub or whatever you have them in.

Daniel

Thanks

For escapees, vasoline is one way, but also try packing tape. A nice 2 to 3 inch border on the inside edge will keep any climbers from getting past - and not messy vasoline to deal with.

I like my dubias.

I'm feeding 1 beardie, 2 water dragons, 2 leos, and one tiger sallie. (and sometimes they go to my box turtles).

For variety, I do about 40% super worms and then occassional pheonix worms, butter worms, silk worms, etc.

Dubias do breed slower, but once started they do great. Escapees are very rare and generally a case of you dropping one and maybe not noticing. But they are tropical and wont' make it long in a colder climate. They also need warm temps (80s) to reproduce, so breeding in your place is not likely (you'd need males and females, good temps, and a food source). Put a roach trap in your reptile room with some good food and they will find it...

I keep mine in a plastic bin and they can't climb it.

I started my colony from www.theroachguy.com and got a starter kit with like 125 or so dubias that included some breeding pairs. Took about 3 months and I fed off a few nymphs here and there. But once I got the temps steady and just left them alone with their food and water crystals, they really took off.

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!

Thanks

I was in the same situation, with the turks always getting out, i used vaseline, clear tape, and they still find a way to get out. My solution was to get rid of them and just go with dubia. i bought a 1000 mixed about a year ago, and i can now feed out of it for my 11 dragons. I also can sell some or just make new colonies. Hope this helps!
    1.0 Super Pastel '09
    1.0 Albino '08
    0.1 Spider '09
    1.0 Bumble Bee '09
    0.1 Mojave '09
    0.1 Pastel '07
    1.0 Spider '08
    0.1 Pastel '08
    0.6 Pastel '09
    .1 Het Albino '08
    0.4 Normal '05 (Many more to come)
    New clutches hatching!