Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,644

2 members and 2,642 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

The Power Of Forgiveness...

I was at work tonight, the last hour of my shift, when Animal Control brings in a dog they found on the side of the road covered in ticks.

'Covered' does not even begin to describe the 500+ ticks we pulled off this dog.

The dog could not walk, could barely lift her head. The doctors suspected tick paralysis. (O rly?) ...Everyone was so grossed out by all the swollen, fat ticks covering the dog--even the doctors!...I was the only one who didn't flinch at gloving up and plucking them off, one by one. I'd been at work on the dog for almost 1/2 an hour before one of the managers who had been talking with the animal control officer said they were just going to euthanize her. I exclaimed "But what if she gets better? They wont even give her the night to see if she'll improve once she isn't covered in ticks???" Nope, evidently they weren't up for that.

I looked down at this dog, who was barely flinching as I pulled tick after tick off of her...her poor ears were bleeding from all the ticks we'd removed! She was not emaciated. She was obviously not spayed, she'd had puppies, but very young (1-2 years) ...and I just couldn't take away the chance, the mere possibility, that this dog may bounce back to it's feet once we removed all the ticks. She was beautiful, she deserved a chance...how could anyone look at this dog and not give her the chance???

What do you see? Some BC? Some Shepherd?

So I asked the doctors what they thought the odds were. She was already lifting her head, trying to move her legs, and we hadn't even removed half the ticks, yet. I stepped up and offered to foster her, if they would give her the chance and see if she'd improve by morning. The animal control officer signed her over, and I resumed picking ticks. 2 hours later, she should lift her head, sit up, kick her legs around, she ate, drank, and was heartily giving me kisses and squirming to be in my lap when I'd kneel down to her. That alone brought tears of hope to my eyes, and I was blown away by the thought that this dog was so...grateful. So loving. She had obviously not seen the better half of life during her short time on this planet, and yet she was still so...forgiving.

The doctors and I talked, and we decided that if she had not improved by morning, we would evaluate the possibilities, and euthanasia might be a consideration. If by morning she was up on her feet, or at least greatly improved, our next step would be a heartworm test. If she is heartworm negative, I do my best to get her a great new home. If she is positive...we'll cross that hurdle when we get to it.

I have 4 dogs, and 2 fosters living with me right now...2 of which are puppies, and one foster will most likely be here permanently as nobody wants a dog thats likely to die in the next couple years... I'm at my limit. I was at my limit when I looked into those deep, brown eyes and sighed..."Ok." ...and asked them not to kill this dog and to give her the chance she deserved. I'm lucky I work where I do and that they're so willing to help me and my soft heart in the most inexpensive ways possible...

I will update you all tomorrow on her status. If she is heartworm positive--which is a very strong possibility, in fact almost a certainty!--I will do what I can. Any of you that wish to help at that point please feel free to Email me @ sincereartisan@aol.com

I've named her 'Torah.'
    Sarah Smith

Veterinary Technician

- 5.8 Ball Pythons - 0.2 Border Collies - 0.1 Pugaranian - 1.0 Black Lab - 0.1 Retarded Cat - 1.2 Carpet Sharks - 2.0 Fish -

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ophidiophile For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

2kdime (07-08-2009),akaangela (07-08-2009),Creeptastic (08-05-2009),dsirkle (07-08-2009),jglass38 (07-08-2009),Ladydragon (07-09-2009),Maize411 (08-05-2009),Muze (07-11-2009),OFRD_GRL (07-09-2009),PiebaldFan (07-09-2009),rabernet (07-09-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-08-2009),TheShortBus (08-06-2009),waltah! (07-08-2009)

Thanks

Re: The Power Of Forgiveness...

What an amazing job you are doing to give that beautiful dog a chance. Please keep us updated.

Thanks

Sarah, there's a very special place reserved in the hereafter for folks like you. I'll pray that this lovely dog is negative for heartworm and that she is able to regain her health and that you are able to find her a wonderful forever home.

Does your local tv station do any free spots for dogs in need of homes? A lot of stations do this and apparently it really does help in getting the word out about wonderful dogs like this one and the others you are working with.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

God bless you!!! She is absoultly beautiful. It seems that most dogs that have been abused and seen very little love will show the deepest love to whom adopts them. They are so eager to make their new owners happy. She looks like she is an angel. Bless you for taking the time to help her!

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late."
    Emerson, Ralph Waldo
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Oh she is simply beautiful and lucky to have you there at that vet hosp. I work at vet hosp too The things we see are amazing, aren't they?

Please let us know how she does and what happens to her. She has such beautiful eyes and I think she looks like she has goldie in her. Atleast that was my first instinct when I saw her pic. If she does okay through the night will docs also test her for Tick Fever?
    Mama to 4 rescues and my son,Chandler, born silently 12/18/96:

0:1 Dobie/Shep mix "Shanti
    0:1 Brittany Spaniel mix "Jasmine"
    1:0 Cornish Rex "Johnny"
    1:0 BP adult "Tanveer

Thanks

The HWT we use also tests for several tick illnesses...so we will see.

I'm going in early this morning, fingers crossed...
    Sarah Smith

Veterinary Technician

- 5.8 Ball Pythons - 0.2 Border Collies - 0.1 Pugaranian - 1.0 Black Lab - 0.1 Retarded Cat - 1.2 Carpet Sharks - 2.0 Fish -

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh Sarah, she's beautiful! She looks like a golden retriever mix to me. Please keep us posted on her.

Thanks

she is beautiful. My fingers are crossed that she is negative for HW. Yes, please keep us updated on her.
    Doris

Thanks

What you are doing for this dog (and all the others I'm sure you help) is amazing. I will pray that she is tested negative and that she can live a long happy life.

She looks Shephard/Golden to me?
    ~Una
    0.2 Normal BP - Meerah & Tink
    0.0.1 Aberrant Albino Cali King Snake - "No Name"
    1.0 JCP - Lucky
    0.1 RTB - Leelah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast