Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,974

0 members and 1,974 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Turkistan Roach Escape

I put this in the general feeders when it really should go here so I re-posted it here. I am breeding my own Turkistan Roach colony for feeders but I am starting to have a problem with some of them escaping. I just found one inside of a shirt hanging in the closet just above the plastic tub that I keep them in. I have part of the top cut out of the lid with screening hot glued and taped from the inside. I really do not understand how they could be getting out especially if they are not supposed to be able to climb smooth surfaces. One night I caught one of them running around on the top of the lid to the tub. I have several glue box traps around my room and all of them have caught one or two roaches. I am going to get some flat glue board and cut and tape it to the top of the lid just to see how many are escaping and see if that is how they are getting out. I have also thought about putting double sided tape along the inside of the plastic tub so if they are climbing up the side they will get stuck on it. Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments? I have been really pleased with switching to roaches over crickets but now I am getting concerned about possible infestation problems. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Turkistan Roach Escape

Ugh! I don't really have any advice to offer...if I had roaches in my house, I'd be calling a professional exterminator. We had a roach problem in one house when I was a kid and none of the store-bought remedies worked for my parents who tried VERY hard to get rid of them. One visit from a pro and we never saw them again.

I'm guessing that what you're seeing is not actively escaping roaches...but very likely roaches that escaped early on and have since been reproducing outside the breeding box you have set up. I guess that would depend on how long you've had them there, of course....but that's the first scenario that came to mind while reading your post. Good luck with them!
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Can you post pictures of your setup? I breed lateralis, dubia, discoids and other roaches and the only ones I ever have get out are the lateralis. How I fixed this was taking window foam insulation and putting it across the top of the tub where the lid meets.

Thanks

here are some pictures of the setup.

Thanks

I just got back from the store and picked up 8 insect glue boards. I was thinking about lining the inside of the bin with the boards around the top as high as I can get them. Do you think that would work to keep them from escaping?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would try the double sided tape first.

Thanks

Do you think I should tape some of the glue board to the very top of the lid on the outside? I will try the double sided tape on the inside of the bin. Ive only seen maybe one escape per week. I have only seen them in this room so it isnt really a huge problem but I see where it could potentionally be a big problem and I am trying to prevent it from getting to that point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    Can you post pictures of your setup? I breed lateralis, dubia, discoids and other roaches and the only ones I ever have get out are the lateralis. How I fixed this was taking window foam insulation and putting it across the top of the tub where the lid meets.
    Great idea about the foam - thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simslee For This Useful Post:

Clear (08-07-2013)