Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,792

0 members and 2,792 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Vets

Thanks

Vets

I'm going to be going to a local shelter soon to adopt a dog. One of my biggest concerns is the vet. I've never owned a dog before let alone one from a shelter so I'm worried that I'll be overwhelmed with vet visits and vet bills. How often should they go in for regular check ups and how much do they cost on average?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Vets

If you are adopting an adult, they should already be fixed, and UTD on everything, but you're going to want to bring them in for a health-check visit so that your vet can look the dog over to make sure they're not seeing any problems you're missing, and that your dog is not missing any vaccines it needs. Some vaccines may need to be boostered if the dog has never had them before.

If you're getting a puppy prepare to spend more money, because they are going to have to have a lot more boosters than just whats given at the shelter.

You can usually call around and get 'Health exam' estimates. You'll want to be sure your new buddy is heartworm tested--even if the shelter did it! ...and bring a poop sample so they can check them for worms. So don't forget to have them add those t an estimate.
    Sarah Smith

Veterinary Technician

- 5.8 Ball Pythons - 0.2 Border Collies - 0.1 Pugaranian - 1.0 Black Lab - 0.1 Retarded Cat - 1.2 Carpet Sharks - 2.0 Fish -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ophidiophile For This Useful Post:

JayBP (07-09-2009)

Thanks

If it is a good shelter then the dog, regardless of age, should have had the appropriate shots. If it is a puppy then there may well be more shots though and adult dogs do need their booster shots and rabies and so forth. Dogs are not an inexpensive pet as they seem to always need a vet trip right before a paycheck.

Ask the shelter for a vet recommendation. Many shelters work with specific vets to offer reasonably priced health care for the animals adopted out from that shelter. Also ask about spay/neuter clinics (though any sexually mature dog coming out of a shelter should already be altered) and low cost rabies clinics in the area. Remember to add into your budget the cost of the dog tags for your community.
    ~~Joanna~~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

JayBP (07-09-2009)

Thanks

There are alot of cheap pet vaccine clinics as well. i believe petco has some GREAT deals on puppy shots & adult shots.
    ~Una
    0.2 Normal BP - Meerah & Tink
    0.0.1 Aberrant Albino Cali King Snake - "No Name"
    1.0 JCP - Lucky
    0.1 RTB - Leelah

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OFRD_GRL For This Useful Post:

JayBP (07-09-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

See if the humane society offers a vet clinic. That can be inexpensive, especially for regular check-ups and vaccines.

Call around, to see what your local vets charge. My vet charges about $45 per dog for full shots yearly. The vet next to where I work charges about $400 per dog for full shots yearly.

Not a typo. There's that much difference. Call around.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

JayBP (07-09-2009)

Thanks

Alright, thanks everybody!