Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,075

0 members and 2,075 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: Would you use an on/off thermostat for a BP incubator?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 40.17%
  • No

70 59.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Would you use an on/off thermostat for a BP egg incubator?

Going to build my first incubator soon, and I have an extra Ranco t-stat lying around. I'm trying to decide whether I can use it, or whether I really need to order a proportional thermostat (e.g. Herpstat) - what do you guys think? This will probably be made out of an old mini-fridge or cooler, using Flexwatt, computer fans, and possibly water bottles to maintain temperature.

Thanks

Re: Would you use an on/off thermostat for a BP egg incubator?

No, I would definitely go with a proportional thermostat. I use a Herpstat Pro.

Edit - BTW, I have a large converted freezer, and do not use a fan or water bottles. I never have any issues hatching eggs.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

HypoPita (07-06-2009),icygirl (07-06-2009)

Thanks

I know quite a few people who use digital on/off thermostats for their incubators, me being one of them. I've always had good luck with the Johnson Controls. It keeps very stable temperatures, no fluctuations and the hatch rate is just the same as other keepers(100% unless egg doomed from start). I've actually had better luck with them than with proportionals, it's weird. I used a Herpstat once on a minifridge incubator and the temperatures fluctuated like nobody's business. All settings were where they were supposed to be and everything wired up normally.

I switched it out with the JC unit and fluctuations stopped. Hatched out three clutches that first year with 100% survival rate.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SatanicIntention For This Useful Post:

icygirl (07-07-2009)

Thanks

I think an on/off can work if certain conditions exist.

1) If you are available to check temps at least two or three times daily.

2) If the incubator is placed in a room that in itself keeps extremely stable temps and humidity.

3) If you are not constantly opening the incubator causing fluctuations.

4) If you have a very good digital device monitoring those temps/humidity.

I used an on/off myself last year and had a 100% hatchrate on three clutches (an admittedly small sampling). It worked, but personally I didn't enjoy the experience and wouldn't choose to repeat it. It caused me more worry and stress than I needed during the incubation process.
    ~~Joanna~~

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

azmodane (07-17-2010),icygirl (07-08-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    This will probably be made out of an old mini-fridge or cooler, using Flexwatt, computer fans, and possibly water bottles to maintain temperature.
    I have no problems using the on/off variety from either Johnson or Ranco - I will however caution about using old mini-fridges that have metallic insides (as opposed to fiberglass or plastic). I had a strip of flexwatt short out inside a metal incubator due to the high humidity, shooting the temperature up to 115, and killing two clutches in the process (on day 58 no less).

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ctrlfreq For This Useful Post:

icygirl (07-08-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    I think an on/off can work if certain conditions exist.

1) If you are available to check temps at least two or three times daily.

2) If the incubator is placed in a room that in itself keeps extremely stable temps and humidity.

3) If you are not constantly opening the incubator causing fluctuations.

4) If you have a very good digital device monitoring those temps/humidity.

I used an on/off myself last year and had a 100% hatchrate on three clutches (an admittedly small sampling). It worked, but personally I didn't enjoy the experience and wouldn't choose to repeat it. It caused me more worry and stress than I needed during the incubation process.
    LoL Jo, I was constantly opening the incubator. The JC and Ranco thermostats are still digital, they're not analog. When the probe is placed properly, they work just fine. I know that VPI uses dimmers on their incubators. I personally use small liquid thermometers to measure the temps. They don't fail in the high humidity like the digital ones do and I make sure they're all calibrated against each other before using.

Depends on the incubator too I like to build my own and have a 6ft tall glass front cooler. It has 6ft of 11" flexwatt in it and will hold probably 10-15 clutches(haven't filled it yet). I run the Tstat probe up through the drain hole in the bottom and zip tie it to a shelf in the center of the incubator. It holds temperatures to a T.

Still sorry you lost those clutches Jeff. That's awful.. If you ever want me to get ya'll another cooler, I can pop right over there. It might help to silicone the connections if you haven't already so it won't happen again. The incubator I have is metal inside too, just powder coated. Don't know if that makes a difference or not..
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SatanicIntention For This Useful Post:

icygirl (07-10-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Still sorry you lost those clutches Jeff. That's awful.. ... It might help to silicone the connections if you haven't already so it won't happen again.
    Yeah, I went through and re-cut and sealed the flex watt on the 'bator, eliminating the sheet that ran across the floor (and was thus susceptible to moisture pooling beneath it). It's back and operational, but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case anyone else had the same condition I went over three months without realizing the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    The incubator I have is metal inside too, just powder coated. Don't know if that makes a difference or not..
    I doubt the powder coating would make much difference, unless it's latex based and thick enough to be an effective insulator. The important part is to make sure you've got the bottom end of the flexwatt completely sealed (just the very end of the metal strip that peeks out of a cut strip), and not in a location where any amount of moisture can accumulate beneath it.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

My first year, I actually had 3 clutches put up in two Hova-bators, using the wafer thermostats on them. Had absolutely no problems at all. So, simple analog thermostats can get the job done.

That having been said, I also prefer a proportional thermostat for finer control and more consistent temps.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

not to say i would do it again, but last year i scrambled and came up with a make-shift incubator using an old coleman cooler, vermiculite, a jar of water, and an old aquarium heater. what i did was fill up the jar with water, place the aquarium heater inside, and then plug the heater in. i then placed the jar into the cooler, with the damp vermiculite. it worked very well for humidity and heat, though i know the temps fluctuated. however, they never fluctuated to drastically, AND we had a 100% hatch and survival rate! so it can be done, but for peace of mind, i would much rather use a Herpstat/Helix/whatever type of proportional thermostat you can get your hands on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

hoax (12-31-2009)

Thanks

I think either will usually do the job. Just pay attention to the eggs every day. Make sure the conditions are optimal.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast