Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,934

0 members and 1,934 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Educatoinal Website?

Well, the information on this website is correct, but I'm not so sure the advise is... (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...E/Venomsnk.htm)

"Although 45 species of snakes are found in Florida, only the 6 listed here are venomous and a danger to humans—see Checklist of Florida Amphibians and Reptiles. The remaining 39 species (and 41 subspecies) are harmless and should be protected for the beneficial role they play in natural ecosytems, eating insects, rodents, rabbits, and other small prey. If you are interested in all of our snakes, then you should visit our 'Online Guide to the Snakes of Florida'."

It gives you the impression that you should kill venomous snakes, and that they do not eat "insects, rodents, rabbits, and other small prey"

Tell me what you think...
    Kevin

1.0 Normal Ball: Luther
    0.1 Pastel Ball
    1.0 Spider Ball

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Educatoinal Website?

Quote Originally Posted by Hock3ymonk3y View Post
    Well, the information on this website is correct, but I'm not so sure the advise is... (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...E/Venomsnk.htm)

"Although 45 species of snakes are found in Florida, only the 6 listed here are venomous and a danger to humans—see Checklist of Florida Amphibians and Reptiles. The remaining 39 species (and 41 subspecies) are harmless and should be protected for the beneficial role they play in natural ecosytems, eating insects, rodents, rabbits, and other small prey. If you are interested in all of our snakes, then you should visit our 'Online Guide to the Snakes of Florida'."

It gives you the impression that you should kill venomous snakes, and that they do not eat "insects, rodents, rabbits, and other small prey"

Tell me what you think...
    I think you need to read the individual species descriptions...........if you had you would have read this:

This snake (diamondback rattlesnake) is extremely beneficial to man because it preys on rats, mice, rabbits, and other warm blooded prey, many of which are considered pests. Nevertheless, the general public in Florida feels so threatened by the Diamondback Rattlesnake that most are killed on sight. This indiscriminate killing, combined with the widespread loss of rattlesnake habitat to agricultural development and urban sprawl and commercial hunting for rattlesnake skins, has caused a decline in most Diamondback Rattlesnake populations. Though not endangered, the species clearly is in trouble.

....among other things.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Believe it or not, Florida is pretty into conserving it's native species. Even the frogs and snakes. The official view is that every native animal has a spot that needs it to exist in order to keep everything in balance.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

upon first reading the information I did feel like they were insinuating that it was okay to kill venomous snakes. And the sad thing is that there are a lot of people that would not take the time to read through each individual description, and may get the same impression.
    ***Tony S.***