Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,075

4 members and 3,071 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Leopard Tort owners...

Well a coworker at my wife's work asked me about Leopard Torts as pets recently. I can find care sheets for her, but she had asked me about enclosures for the tort. Her nor her husband are cage builders and she was asking me where she could buy a cage for a full grown leopard tort. I told her that they grow slow and she would not need THAT large of an enclosure for a while. BUT, are there any commercial tort tubs that would be suitable for an adult leo tort that I can point her to for future use? And is there anything I could tell her about leo torts that a care sheet may not tell her?

Thanks all! Happy 4th!
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Leopard Tort owners...

I'm not completely sure, but the biggest commercial tort enclosures I've seen are around 2' x 4' or so (which is by no means big enough for an adult)....

I think it would be fine in something that sized for quite awhile, like you mentioned, they grow slowly.. I would make sure your wife's coworker knows that EVENTUALLY they will need a larger enclosure than what is pre-made and available, but it work for awhile.

Thanks

Why not a large round metal water trough? People use those all the time for monitors.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I would also like to add that as babies, they do very well in wooden boxes with screen tops.

We use a 4'x4'x6" wooden frame with chicken wire top so that the hawks dont get em.

Like my lady said, waterland tubs makes a land tortoise enclosure, but is not very big, def not big enough for an adult. A baby, sure.

I know Raul uses a wooden frame very simliar to ours, and I think we both have had great sucess with them.

Thanks

Tort tables are really, really easy to build. If I can do it anyone can! I built a 4 x 3 table for my Greek out of 1 sheet of plywood, that was enough for the bottom and sides (I made them a foot tall). I did use some 1" x 2" in the inside corners to add stability and as nailers. It really was just a matter of cutting the bottom piece to the desired size and then cutting the sides to fit and screwing it all together. A coat or five of poly later and it's good to go.
    I looked around for something pre-made and really could not find anything that was suitable but, as I said, this was super easy to make.

Thanks

Hey all, thanks for the input!

Ya, I am thinking about offering to build them a turtle pin of sorts. I think they just want something more aesthetically appealing than a plywood box. So I may pitch some design ideas to her and see what she thinks. Thank again all for the input!
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

They do best kept outside when weather permits. Green grass and sunshine do a tortoise good.