Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,524

0 members and 2,524 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Building new Cage question on Lighting

Hi,
    I've decided to build myself a cage that will need a heat source. The cage will be 36'' wide and will be separated in to 12'' sections (basically a box with three rooms) and I was thinking I could get one fixture to provide the heat for all three rooms. I was just wondering what people here consider the best heat options: heat rocks, CFL, UVB? I'm just in the planning stages so any replies would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    **Rita**
    0.2 Dogs
    1.0 Banana Ball Python

Thanks

Re: Building new Cage question on Lighting

Since you did not say, I am going to assume that you are building this setup for ball pythons. If that is the case then you do not want to use a heat rock. And it is my opinion that belly heat or a UTH (Under Tank Heater) is the best.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. UTH seems like a very good heat souce but how would that work with a wood cage? The way I'm planning the enclosure the bottom, sides, and back is going to be wood and the top and front are going to be plexiglass. The only UTH units I found are for use in glass terrariums. And yes this enclosure would be for ball pythons.
    Last edited by Rije682; 07-02-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    **Rita**
    0.2 Dogs
    1.0 Banana Ball Python

Thanks

I have never built a wood enclosure but I have seen where other people put down the UTH and then cover it with ceramic tile or plastic flooring, and then use a sealant around he edges to keep it in place. And then if you need to replace the UTH you can scrape away the sealant replace and re-seal.

I also saw a design where someone framed out the bottom of the enclosure and then put down a piece of plexi-glass for the floor.

Also you will want to make sure and use a thermostat with your UTH, so that it does not get to hot.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

OK, with a wooden enclosure, UTH or Flexwatt heat tape are good heating options. Since BPs do not do well with lamps as heat sources, and NO snake or reptile should EVER have a heat rock (they should destroy them all and stop selling them), UTHs are the way to go. Of course, there are radient heat panels which work very well...but are expensive.

Anyway, in a wooden enclosure the best way to go about heat is to place the UTH on the wooden floor with some holes drilled into the wood underneath for ventilation/thermostat probe placement. Then, place vinyl flooring, tiles, or ceramic tiles over the UTH and hot glue/silicone around the edges to secure. That way, you can still easily get to the UTH for replacement without going through a lot of trouble.

I'm not clear on your cage dimensions, though. Do you have three hatchlings?? And what height are you planning on making this?
    Oh, and there really is no one source that would heat three enclosures, no to mention that cages that small would be impossible to regulate and have a temp gradient in. A clearer description of the cages would help.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Thermostat? I understand what thermostats do but my question is do they make some that will shut off the UTH automatically and start it up when it gets too cool or is it a separate entity that you connect to the heater so that is will turn it off so it doesnt get too hot? What kind of thermostat do you use?
    **Rita**
    0.2 Dogs
    1.0 Banana Ball Python

Thanks

I use a lamp dimmer so you can control how much energy is going into the heat source. It never shuts off, just stays around one temp depending on where you set it. You can get them at Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot, I'm sure.
    Christina

0.1 Normal BP "Cleo"
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Munch" and "Ziggy"
    1.0 Red Eared Slider "Norwell"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    I'm not clear on your cage dimensions, though. Do you have three hatchlings?? And what height are you planning on making this?Oh, and there really is no one source that would heat three enclosures, no to mention that cages that small would be impossible to regulate and have a temp gradient in. A clearer description of the cages would help.
    What I'm building is going to end up like three 20gl long tanks side by side. Granted the Rear, sides, and bottom of the tanks are going to be wood and the top and front of the cage is going to be plexiglass. At least thats the idea. It'll probably change a few times before I get the final plans down. Each enclosure wass going to be 12'' X 20'' but instead I'm thinking of doing each the size of a 20 gl long footprint. That would be 30'' X 12'' for each of the three enclosures.
    **Rita**
    0.2 Dogs
    1.0 Banana Ball Python

Thanks

With what you have described I would lean towards flexwatt. You could run one length of flexwatt along the bottom/back side and control all three enclosures with one T-stat.

Check out these sites:

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/products/index.html

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape

The Herpstats are expensive but well worth the money. You can however find cheaper T-Stats.
    ***Tony S.***

10. The Following User Says Thank You to snakecharmer3638 For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (07-03-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rije682 View Post
    Thermostat? I understand what thermostats do but my question is do they make some that will shut off the UTH automatically and start it up when it gets too cool or is it a separate entity that you connect to the heater so that is will turn it off so it doesnt get too hot? What kind of thermostat do you use?
    That is exactly what it does.

I use a johnsons controls thermostat which is a bit pricey at $70. The cheapest one is $30 which is the reptitemp 500r.

To be clear, these are thermostats designed specifically for use with reptile enclosures.
    ~Steffe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast