Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

0 members and 3,082 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Built a rodent rack

This was exhausting and upset me a lot! I had no help, went through four bottles of gatorade, 10 pints of sweat because it was like 90˚ outside, had to deal with a drill that couldn't run for a constant 5 seconds, had to buy a new drill which was a POS but that's what I get for buying the cheapest one possible. Took me around 10-11 hours to build the whole thing. I basically stole the design from Clay Davenports site, but made it smaller because my shed isn't tall enough for 6 levels.

All of the 2x4's and 2x2's cut

OSB cut to size

Sizes

Assembling the first frame using two 62" 2x2s, two 16 1/2" 2x2s, and one 59" 2x2

Last frame

Attached with hardware cloth. The 2x2s in the middle are where the hardware cloth is overlapped. I was low on it, so I had to be conservative with it and lay it where I would get the most cloth with the least cloth, if you get that

Attached legs. This is one of the more difficult parts. The rack was initially laid horizontally to attach the legs.

Attaching the frames using the 10" spacers.

After attaching the second frame, my drill died completely. So I went out to Target to buy a new one lol. And got the cheapest one possible

Old drill

New drill

Took like 2-5 minutes to drill a hole though a 2x2. And I still had quit a bit of drilling to go.

All frames assembled

Attaching the supports for the OSB with a 19" 2x2 and a 5 5/8" 2x2 as a spacer

After nailing in the OSB and nailing some back stops, I was FINALLY done. And after I cut like 10" off the legs to make is smaller.

If you look at the first and last pictures, you can see the difference in daylight by the garage door. I started at little before 10 A.M. And finished around 9:30 P.M.

Thanks

Re: Built a rodent rack

Nice job on the rack and your right thats not a drill thats a toy.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatoyman View Post
    Nice job on the rack and your right thats not a drill thats a toy.
    No kidding. This thing is used for like mounting hooks in drywall or something. I seriously had to lean into the wood to get enough pressure to do anything. I probably could have chewed through the wood faster.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Trade up for a Dewalt or Makita, nice rack
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Good job on the rack. I have build that exact rack. I have had many problems with the rats chewing on the tubs. I beleive this is caused by the tubs sagging in the front, and them sliding around. I have also had a lot of problems with the middle tubs sagging, so had to install spacers between each rack to hold the MDF up. I have thought of installing runners to hold the tubs up, but it would take a lot of work now that it is alredy built.

Good luck with yours.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    Trade up for a Dewalt or Makita, nice rack
    If I had the money I would. I only had about $50 at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    Good job on the rack. I have build that exact rack. I have had many problems with the rats chewing on the tubs. I beleive this is caused by the tubs sagging in the front, and them sliding around. I have also had a lot of problems with the middle tubs sagging, so had to install spacers between each rack to hold the MDF up. I have thought of installing runners to hold the tubs up, but it would take a lot of work now that it is alredy built.

Good luck with yours.
    Clay mentions 4 1/2" supports to prevent sagging. I found 4 1/2" to be too big though, can't even slide in the tubs. I think like maybe 4 1/4" would fit good.

Thanks

I had built that rack a while back and had the sagging problems and rats chewing on the tubs.........went back to the concrete tubs with no problems...If i build one with the cat litter pans going to hang them like other racks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

If you use solid wood, not chips glued together, you will have far less sagging.

Even a couple of 1X3s for each level would do the trick.

The first time is always the worst and not having real tools only compounds the problem.

Looks like it all worked out though. Pat yourself on the back.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org