Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

2 members and 2,803 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sad News

Thanks

Re: Sad News

Hi all,
    This is horrible to hear. Our community mourns for the snake and the child. I actually received a call today about this. Someone asked me to take in their Burm because they feared for their own childs safety.
    No words can even be said to how I feel about this. I have always disliked the media in this country (as much as I dislike irresponsible pet owners). I do hope this hype dies down soon.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    J'accuse Deb,

She was on the ball by the time I even thought about it.

dr del
    Guilty as charged moved back and merged all in one
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Python Kills Baby Girl in Florida!

Quote Originally Posted by JAMills View Post
    Well He we go...Burmese python gets out and kills a child in Florida!

http://www.nj.com/parenting/eric_ruh...ills_baby.html
    I commented on this story, asking if the author always wrote through ignorance and bigotry but it seems to have hit a filter and not posted.

Sometimes I hate people and the stupidity that they embody.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

USARK press release following this tragic incident

USARK Florida Python Press Release

For Immediate Release

For questions contact:

Andrew Wyatt
    president@usark.org
    www.usark.org

WILMINGTON, N.C. (July 2, 2009) - The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) was deeply saddened to learn of the tragic death of 2-year old Shaiunna Hare, who was killed in her home in Oxford, Florida Wednesday morning. Although authorities have not ruled out foul play, the Sumter County Sheriff's Office has initially reported the cause of death to be a 8-foot Burmese Python that was being kept in the home as a pet. The Sheriff’s Office further reported that the family did not have the necessary permits to handle or keep the snake, nor did they have the required caging or follow proper safety protocols as mandated under Florida State law.

Florida Fish & Wildlife and the Florida Reptile Community have established strict guidelines for ownership of this type of animal within the state. Burmese Pythons are a ‘Reptile of Concern’ and fall under a statute requiring an annual permit. There are strict guidelines for secure caging, education and experience requirements and inspections. USARK is a strong advocate of handling and safety protocols and industry best operating procedures. We would like to recognize Florida Fish & Wildlife, Sumter County Sheriffs Dept. and Lake- Sumter EMS for handling this emotionally delicate situation in such an even-handed and professional manner.

“Although we still have a lot of questions, this is a tragedy that could have been prevented and that is truly heart wrenching”, said USARK President Andrew Wyatt. “Ownership of any animal requires a great deal of responsibility, and reptiles are no different. USARK works with states across the nation to implement strong safeguards aimed at preventing situations like this from ever occurring”, added Wyatt. “Unfortunately animal related tragedies are not uncommon. Dozens are killed every year by dogs and horses. This case is unusual because there is a snake involved; but even more so because of the apparent gross negligence and disregard for law. There are strong laws in place in Florida. If the laws had been followed this death would never have occurred. Our heart goes out to the family as they deal with this tragedy and wrestle with the knowledge that they played a major role in it.”

The US Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) is a science and education-based advocate for the responsible private ownership of, and trade in reptiles. Widely recognized as setting the standard for safe responsible reptile keeping nationwide, USARK endorses caging standards, sound husbandry, escape prevention protocols, and an integrated approach to vital conservation issues. Its goal is to facilitate cooperation between government agencies, the scientific community, and the private sector in order to produce policy proposals that will effectively address important husbandry and conservation issues. The health of these animals, public safety, and maintaining ecological integrity are its primary concerns.

Currently USARK has state legislation pending in North Carolina that would require secure caging standards, safety & escape prevention protocols as well as penalties for negligence and violations.

Contributors: Andrew Wyatt (President USARK), Dennis Sargent (Fl. Reptile community) & Greg Graziani (Fl. Reptile community)

Note to Reptile Nation:

This Press release was sent to the Associated Press (AP) and various other media outlets.

The challenges we face at the federal and state level by those who would oppose responsible reptile ownership are merely one tragic event away from being enacted into law. Bad policy that could never stand on its own can easily be swept through legislatures and the U.S. Congress on a wave of emotion following the irresponsible actions of others.

USARK must stand firm on strong caging standards, sound husbandry, escape prevention protocols, and an integrated approach to vital conservation issues. In our view this is also the time to pursue a USARK Accreditation Program. Working with federal and state regulators to develop recognized and accepted standards and protocols insulates our community from having the terms of our existence dictated to us by those who would oppose reptile ownership altogether. It is also a way to establish USARK more firmly as the national standard bearer for the reptile-keeping community.

USARK has historically worked at the state level to implement strong laws for responsible ownership, thus a USARK Accreditation Program is merely internalizing those standards and working with states and federal regulators to raise the profile of our Program and its member participants.

We believe very strongly that this is the right approach, and the best way to respond to those who would use tragic events to demonize a responsible reptile-keeping community.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

mainbutter (07-03-2009),MelissaFlipski (07-08-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-03-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    I commented on this story, asking if the author always wrote through ignorance and bigotry but it seems to have hit a filter and not posted.

Sometimes I hate people and the stupidity that they embody.
    My mistake, it did post.

I still feel the same about people like him though.
    www.humanewatch.org

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-02-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    My mistake, it did post.

I still feel the same about people like him though.
    He replied with a simple yes. What a character.
    ]

Thanks

Saw that. The guy is obviously uninformed.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Mike and I have already received concerned calls about snakes and safety around children. The crazy thing is this....

The National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Humane Society of the United States recently updated data on fatal dog bites for the period 1989 to 1994.

In the 6-year study published in the medical journal PEDIATRICS (Vol.97 No. 6, 891-5), Jeffrey J. Sacks, M.D. and associates reported the finding of 109 bite-related fatalities. They found that 57% of the deaths were in children under 10 years of age. 22% of the deaths involved an unrestrained dog OFF the owner's property. 18% of the deaths involved a restrained dog ON the owner's property, and 59% of the deaths involved an unrestrained dog ON the owner's property.

The researchers also found that 10% of the dog bite attacks involved sleeping infants.
    109 fatalities over only 6 years. 10% of them being sleeping infants. 57% of the victims were children under 10. 59% of dogs that killed people were on their own properties.

Yet not one person I've spoken to would even think to suggest that my owning a 75 lb Labrador Retriever who has free range of our home is a statistically dangerous pet to own. Why don't people get reality? All this fear surrounding snakes and yet Fido the mutt is in actuality a far great risk to your children on a daily basis.

***This study by the way was an update on a previous study covering the period from 1979 to 1996 in which more than 300 dog bite fatalities occurred. That paper can be found here.....

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf
    Last edited by frankykeno; 07-03-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: adding in source information
    ~~Joanna~~

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (07-13-2009),MelissaFlipski (07-08-2009)

Thanks

I was informed about this very early before even waking up my phone was ringing off the hook from every family member asking if I own burmese pythons and if my children are ok. Im actually fed up with all this crap. I have no sympathy for the parents. When you become a parent you lose your right to sleep to 10am. I have a 5 year old and 2 year old and have not slept to 10 in 5 years. When the child gets up YOU get up. I see no danger in keeping large snakes with children. When you keep them properly like you should the danger in big pythons stops. You lock your snake room you lock there cages you keep them in cages not fish tanks. When you become a parent you protect that child at all costs and if you are keeping a potentially dangerous animal you need to make sure there is no possible way that child could ever end up being that animals dinner. This is nothing but a bunch of idiots ruining our hobby because they cant keep there snakes put up like they should. The story seems fishy to me I own a number of burms and Ive got to tell you when it comes to food mine dont miss a strike often usually it only takes one strike not multiple strikes. I wish people would just keep there animals like they should. Everytime this happens both my faimily and my wifes family give us hell for it. Well I cant help it that two morons let there snake kill there baby or killed there baby and blamed the snake (it would be very easy) but if I thought for a second that one of my snakes may possibly be able to kill one of my children I wouldnt own them!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Denial For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-03-2009)

Thanks

does anyone know when the results of the autopsy will be released?

i agree with the parents being totally at fault. i think that the emphasis should be on the fact that they DID NOT have a proper enclosure, a lock, a locked room, OR a permit to have it. the parents own the responsibility of both the child and the animal, and they should be charged on both the child's death and abuse/mistreatment to the animal, in addition to charges they face for not having proper permit.

imo, this is open and shut. who with any common sense would say the snake, ergo all snake owners are at fault?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast