Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,358

1 members and 1,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: My snakes are missing strikes on dead prey . . .

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    When was her last shed?

Is she ovulating?

Are you positive she is a she?

Her last shed was about maybe 2 months ago? Little longer little less? I lost my records from that time, had to start a new system. I don't think shes ovulating, hasn't been with any males and she is still a little small to start breeding (1350g i think) and doesn't look like she is.

And yeah, I'm sure shes a she. I saw her popped when I first got her, bought her from a reputable guy, and have popped her myself.
    6.21 ball pythons
    0.1 Suriname BCC, Florida Redtail line
    Lots of ASFs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

After reading the title, I thought "oh this guy isn't feeding warm prey!". I've seen BPs strike multiple times at a thawed feeder and miss, and just get frustrated, because they can smell food, can see food, but their heat pits don't let them zero in on colder prey so they miss.

But it sounds like you take good care of your snakes and the rest of them eat well, so I don't really know what to tell you..

I mean, it's summer and she's not in blue, she's kept in adequate conditions that are the same as other snakes you have.

If you don't have any, you MIGHT try putting a hide in the tub. I know some people don't use hides in tubs, but your snake might enjoy something a little "tighter".

Other than that, good luck with her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    After reading the title, I thought "oh this guy isn't feeding warm prey!". I've seen BPs strike multiple times at a thawed feeder and miss, and just get frustrated, because they can smell food, can see food, but their heat pits don't let them zero in on colder prey so they miss.

But it sounds like you take good care of your snakes and the rest of them eat well, so I don't really know what to tell you..

I mean, it's summer and she's not in blue, she's kept in adequate conditions that are the same as other snakes you have.

If you don't have any, you MIGHT try putting a hide in the tub. I know some people don't use hides in tubs, but your snake might enjoy something a little "tighter".

Other than that, good luck with her.

Oh she has a hide, she spends most of her time on top of it or around the side. My other female I got at the same time in an identital set up actually goes in hers. Maybe a smaller hide? I dunno though, since she is in newspaper and can always burrow under that if she wants.

I'll just give her a week or two rest and try again I guess.
    6.21 ball pythons
    0.1 Suriname BCC, Florida Redtail line
    Lots of ASFs

Thanks

I am also having this problem. I am new to being a snake owner, I've only had my banana for a week now. He will strike but not make contact, once he did make contact but didn't hold. Seemed like a defensive strike but I've always been told that ball pythons normally don't strike out of defense so that worries me.
    Maybe he's just getting used to his new home, idk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGraves View Post
    I am also having this problem. I am new to being a snake owner, I've only had my banana for a week now. He will strike but not make contact, once he did make contact but didn't hold. Seemed like a defensive strike but I've always been told that ball pythons normally don't strike out of defense so that worries me.
    Maybe he's just getting used to his new home, idk.
    Instead of replying to a post from 2009, this should go into a new thread. Assuming your husbandry is on point, I'd heat up the feeder again and offer it again a little later.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-08-2018)

Thanks
    "Kicks the thread back in its grave and starts shoveling dirt on it"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12