Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,476

1 members and 3,475 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Boas in Orlando

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Boas in Orlando

ok,,i seen something on the news about a missing boa,,tried to do a search and came across this blog,,appearantly boas are members of the python family as well,and this is an animal trappers website

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/boaconstrictor.html

"11.08.2003 - Florida is home to many non-native species of plants and animals. People seem to become particularly excited about the presence of non-native snakes. It's true that Florida is host to several species of foreign snake. The subtropical climate allows for survival of certain species that usually only live in jungles in areas such as central and South America, such as snakes.

One such snake is the Boa Constrictor. This is a very well-known snake, and is a member of the python family. It's not nearly as large as the Reticulated Python or the Anaconda, or even the Burmese python, but it can grow to a fairly large size. Above is a photo of a Boa Constrictor that I caught here in Orlando Florida. Here I am playing with it near a lake in Orlando.

The big question is about the origin of this snake. Was it a released or escaped pet, or was it born in the wild here in Orlando Florida? I'm going to guess that this particular snake was a pet. While it's true that some species of python have in fact established breeding and sustained populations in southern Florida, I just don't think that Orlando is quite warm enough for these snakes. In addition, I've only come across them on rare occasion. I think that if they were breeding here, I'd see them more often, and I'd see more small boas than I do. I think larger ones such as this are merely pets whose owners released them, because they got tired of keeping a large snake around. However, I'm not sure that I'm correct, and it's possible, even if this Florida Boa Constrictor pictured above is a former pet, that there are boas in the Orlando area. As for the rest of Florida, I do believe that there are self-sustaining populations of Boa Constrictor in southern Florida, along with the established Burmese Pythons in that part of the state."
    1.0 blonde pastel,1.8 normal,1.1 het orange ghost 1.0 het butterscotch 0.1 het green ghost 0.1 het albino 0.1 rtb 0.1 yellow anaconda 1.0 borneo blood 1.0 albino burmese

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Boas in Orlando

and another blog about boas in orlando

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/...ororlando.html
    1.0 blonde pastel,1.8 normal,1.1 het orange ghost 1.0 het butterscotch 0.1 het green ghost 0.1 het albino 0.1 rtb 0.1 yellow anaconda 1.0 borneo blood 1.0 albino burmese

Thanks

Boas Constrictors are in the Boidae family.

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Subphylum: Vertebrata
    Class: Reptilia
    Order: Squamata
    Suborder: Serpentes
    Family: Boidae
    Subfamily: Boinae
    Genus: Boa
    Species: B. constrictor

As for pythons.. (retic used as example)

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Reptilia
    Order: Squamata
    Suborder: Serpentes
    Family: Pythonidae
    Genus: Python
    Species: P. reticulatus

They are the same up to family, when that is, in fact, when they change. Anyone who says they are in the same family is idiotic.

They are in the same order and suborder, and thats as far as they go.

Also, I don't think boas would do very well surviving in Florida's climate. That doesn't mean they could not, but they would also not end up being a very large threat at 9-10ft max.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

the 2nd blog he didnt say anything about them being in the same family or species as python,but,hes still an idiot over all,,and considering no native snakes reach them lengths,and at 10 ft,it could inflict damage to humans and small children as well,,it could very well become an issue,however,,it could also help with the stray cat issues as well,,,,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell83 View Post
    the 2nd blog he didnt say anything about them being in the same family or species as python,but,hes still an idiot over all,,and considering no native snakes reach them lengths,and at 10 ft,it could inflict damage to humans and small children as well,,it could very well become an issue,however,,it could also help with the stray cat issues as well,,,,
    I doubt they would be wandering the streets where the stray cats are, not to mention a cat is much bigger than a rabbit and would be a bit big for most boas to eat..

10ft is large for most species of boas. 7ft is average for males and 9ft is more for females. Most adults could probably handle a 9ft boa on their own without and severe damage. I highly doubt they would thrive down there like the Burmese do.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i dont think they would either,i actually looked up weather in columbia,and it appears florida is much hotter,but not as humid,but i just dont see them thriving,especially in a city setting,,just doesnt seem possible,,,and i am aware of thier size,and i know females can reach 12ft,and realistically,a smaller person,or a child,would have something to worry about,if it was a pissed off boa atleast,but moan boas dont have that mentality,or atleast most i have handeled,,and i am pretty positive a 9ft,healthy boa,would have no issue with the average size cat,as a lot of thier ehight is purely legs,same theory as a burm taking down a deer,when the car is laying down next to a rabbit,,there isnt such a size differenct to make it not be plausable

Thanks

It must be true its on the internet

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hud556 View Post
    It must be true its on the internet

i think what surprises me the most,is animal trappers,who mis identifyed the animal,not just in common name,but in its complete identification