Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,047

0 members and 3,047 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Scary Sheltie

Thanks

Scary Sheltie

I graduated from Bowling Green State University and still go back to volunteer on Tuesdays in the reptile lab. We have numerous species including 8-9ft redtails. My Sheltie goes everywhere with me to keep her trained to go to nursing homes and hospitals since she is a therapy dog. One day a group came through and one person refused to enter the reptile lab when they saw my sheltie. Apparently she is scarier than a boa. I understand fear of dogs but fear of a dog over a reptile is a new twist. Its just the irony that got me.
    Fear the attack sheltie

Luckily I didn't have my other therapy dog with me, Lilith is a Norwegian/Swedish Elkhound. Not sure which, was adopted as a Norwegian but looks more like a swedish.

Thanks

Re: Scary Sheltie

people have irrational fears and sometimes can't even explain their fears or why they have them. as for your dogs.. SQWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I LOVE YOUR SHELTIE. She looks adorable.. I've never seen one with her coloring. I just wanna hug her and squeeze her. Your elkhound is gorgeous too.. very regal looking. Just beautiful.
    Doris

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

They are both cutie pies
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

apparently my girlfriend's mom had a sheltie once.. the dog tried its best to get loose so it could run to the nearby park and "herd" all the children into the sandbox.

Thanks

Oh what lovely dogs and how wonderful you are involved with them in the therapy dog program. I looked into it once and there's quite a lot of training and commitment involved in that - good for you!

I once owned a female Labrador that was firmly convinced that children should not be allowed to swim in a lake. Nothing could change Shad's mind on this. Needless to say herding children in from the water was NOT appreciated so poor Shad was left home when we went swimming with the kids.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Beautiful dogs! Someone commented on the unusual coloring of your sheltie, and she definitely is both unusual and gorgeous! If I remember correctly, to be shown, shelties may have no more than 50% white, but I've seen some high white shelties that are just knockouts! That rule would explain why we don't see a lot of them though.

As far as being more scared of the dog than the snakes... well, irrational fears are just that! It is a refreshing change though!
    Casey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydragon View Post
    SQWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I LOVE YOUR SHELTIE. She looks adorable.. I've never seen one with her coloring. I just wanna hug her and squeeze her.
    Mira is a sable merle. The color has not been recognized very long. Not only that but most sable merles are cryptic, meaning they look like a washed out sable and its really hard to tell them from a light sable. Mira is special, she is one of only a handful of non-cryptic sable merles that I know of. One is a champion and looks a lot like her sister so they can show but most just don't look like that. They are so uncommon that a couple websites I have read stated that all sable merles are cryptic when obviously thats not true. Some of the white on her butt is camera flash cause she is so shiny, she is bordering on 50% white so may have been able to show but the blue eye disqualifies her, even though its caused by the same gene as a blue eye in blue merles they don't allow it in the sable based colors.

Lilith the elkhound is coming around, I was surprised she passed the TDI test so soon since she was adopted to me with behavioral problems but she has come a long way since August.