Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,934

2 members and 2,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks
    I picked up Squelch 2 weeks ago yesterday. He is about 4 months old, has been eating f/t and I have his feeding charts. He has only had one occasion where he did not eat in that time.

Sundays are his feeding day. I figured he wouldn't eat the day after I brought him home but offered anyway. No dice.

Tonight was the second offering. So he hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. Again no dice. There is no pet store around here that offers live feeders and as I have 2 little kids I don't really want that to be the option.

I talked to the pet store and they said to bring him back in and they would hold him for a week and try and get him to eat. Do I do that or do I assist feed him?

I have had a ball python and a Burmese in the past and never ran into a problem, but that was in an area where I could anything from pinkies to piglets live.

Thanks in advance.
    1.0 Yellow belly - Squelch
    1.0 Spider 100% het albino- Gru
    1.0 Orange Ghost - Nefario
    2.2 Normal - Ginger, Shelly, Gus, Pumpernickle
    0.1 Granite - Margo
    0.1 100% DH Snow (VPI)

2.0 Bearded dragons - Spike & Chef

4 Crested geckos

4.0 Dachshunds Winston, Hugh, Gilligan, and Cowboy.
    1.0 fostered Dachshunds currently Archie

29 Dachshunds adopted through our house to date.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Assist Feeding Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive Dream View Post

I talked to the pet store and they said to bring him back in and they would hold him for a week and try and get him to eat. Do I do that or do I assist feed him?
    Starting a new thread with your question would be best however and allow you to be more suggestions.

Anyway DO NOT assist you NO, assisting is stressful and should only be use as a last resort.

At 4 months your BP obviously know how to eat.

2 weeks is nothing and stressing your animal by changing environment back and forth b bringing it to the store and back with do nothing then make it worse on your snake when it comes to feeding.

There are many things that can lead to refusal, such as offering and in most cases with new owner it is often husbandry related.

Make sure the enclosure is not to big, downsizing if needed (tighter cramped space offer more security), make sure the animal feels secure by providing tight hides, offer proper temps and humidity, offer the same prey type than previously offered, etc
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 04-22-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456