Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

1 members and 3,091 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered User dragoonmaster1781's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Assist Feeding Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    You had an easy one, lol.
    lol I think he was just scared yo eat once he had it in its mouth, he was good to go.
    Snakes are just as fun of a pet as a cat or dog, just easier to feed.

Thanks

AWSOME READ! I actually have a baby mojave I couldnt get to eat. So I read up on the stick on some tips and it worked spot on

Just whacked the mouse dipped him in warm water and worked the head of the mouse into the mojo's mouth. After a few attempts he finally realized what the heck I wanted him to do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rebel750 For This Useful Post:

muddoc (01-10-2011)

Thanks

Thanks so much. I just picked up a baby normal, but with beautiful colors. The breeder has already force fed two pinkies, I am trying to get her to eat normally. She sniffed at a gerbil pinkie last night. I will wait a few days, let her settle in. But I will follow these instructions if I have to.
    [SIZE="2"]1.14 normal,1.4 het pied, 1.1 het clown, 2.4 pastel, 0.3 het albino, 0.3 het albino 50% het vpi axanthic, 0.1 spider, 1.0 mojave, 1.0 albino, 1.0 pied, 0.3 50% het pied, 0.1 black pastel, 0.2 butter, 1.1 fire, 1.0 pin[FONT="Arial Black"]

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm happy to share that not only did Muddoc's post help me keep my animals alive, but I also took them to the vet to find they had an upper respiratory infection after combating mites. So a sum of money spent on the vet, a round of Fortaz, and my critters have now very eagerly taken two meals on their own and are putting on weight too!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CA cowgirl For This Useful Post:

HerpetualObscurity (11-16-2013),muddoc (01-10-2011)

Thanks

I did it I placed a fuzzy ASF in her jaws with plastic tweezers that I borrowed. I planned on force feeding the whole way, then I remembered this post, so I locked it in her teeth, and put her in her tub. About 5 minutes of looking at me like I am crazy, and suddenly she started swallowing Now this girl is a milestone, just a normal, but she is going to be with me for a good long time

Thanks so much
    [SIZE="2"]1.14 normal,1.4 het pied, 1.1 het clown, 2.4 pastel, 0.3 het albino, 0.3 het albino 50% het vpi axanthic, 0.1 spider, 1.0 mojave, 1.0 albino, 1.0 pied, 0.3 50% het pied, 0.1 black pastel, 0.2 butter, 1.1 fire, 1.0 pin[FONT="Arial Black"]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to freezingdwarf For This Useful Post:

muddoc (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I haven't been back to check this thread in awhile, but I am very happy to see that it was able to help a few more people. Sometimes these guys just need a little extra TLC, and they do just great.

I know I sound like a procrastinator, but I actually decided to take some pics of this procedure a few weeks ago, as I had two babies still taking assisted meals. Wouldn't you know, I brought out the camera, and they both ate on their own. With that said, I might have to add that if you are having a problem feeder in the future, maybe the presence of a camera will make them eat. LOL.

p.s. My 2 girls that finally figured it out on their own both took 8 assist feeds before feeding on their own. I just wanted to add that note, as previous to these 2, I had never had to assist more than 6 times.

Good luck to everyone in the future,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

My ball python refuses to eat rats! It is so frustrating.

Here is my breakdown: I only feed frozen/thawed as I bought her while she was already eating the frozen. I've had her for just over two years and she has been quite the good eater for most of it.

There was a time where she went on a hunger strike and that was when she was getting somewhat big on adult mice so I tried switching her to rat pups that were the same size to begin her transition to rats. She would not take them, but due to the somewhat large supply of pups I kept trying them until they got freezer burn and I had to throw them away.

Since then I put her back on mice and she takes them down like popcorn. I am feeding her about 3 mice a week, but not in the same feeding. Approximately one adult frozen mouse every 2-3 days.

I've tried offering her small rats every once in a while but she won't even go near them. Has anyone heard of a ball python being so picky?

I am frustrated and need advice! Save me!
    0.1 Normal BP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Unfortunately I wish I could give you more encouraging advice, but I do have some animals like that. I have a female that eats 3 mice per sitting twice a week. I finally got her switched to ASFs after about 1 year, and after one more year of trying I got her on rats. It took two years. I have a few males though that are 4 years old, and have never taken a rat.

It's a ball python, and your best tool for winning is persistence and patience.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DmR20588 View Post
    My ball python refuses to eat rats! It is so frustrating.

Here is my breakdown: I only feed frozen/thawed as I bought her while she was already eating the frozen. I've had her for just over two years and she has been quite the good eater for most of it.

There was a time where she went on a hunger strike and that was when she was getting somewhat big on adult mice so I tried switching her to rat pups that were the same size to begin her transition to rats. She would not take them, but due to the somewhat large supply of pups I kept trying them until they got freezer burn and I had to throw them away.

Since then I put her back on mice and she takes them down like popcorn. I am feeding her about 3 mice a week, but not in the same feeding. Approximately one adult frozen mouse every 2-3 days.

I've tried offering her small rats every once in a while but she won't even go near them. Has anyone heard of a ball python being so picky?

I am frustrated and need advice! Save me!
    Try scenting the rats with mouse bedding or something that smells mousy...I've converted a few like that. All you need is some stinky mouse bedding. Rub that all over a thawed rat pup and give it a try...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

muddoc (07-29-2010)

Thanks
    I am so grateful for this post, I just recently picked up some hatchlings, and the yellowbellies had yet to eat. Sadly one was to far gone, and even after being force fed by my local breeder, it died the same night. But the other two are doing quite well. the Ringer is still stubborn and needs to be assisted, but the other one is eating quite well on her own.
    3.3 Normal BP (Loki, Taree, Baby Girl)
    1.0 Bumble bee
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.2 Pastel het. OG
    1.0 Het Albino

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuro_Yamaneko For This Useful Post:

muddoc (01-10-2011)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast