Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,886

0 members and 2,886 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Assist Feeding Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter664 View Post
    I have forced fed my snake 3 times so far he hasnt ate on his own but it is getting easier every time.Do you think I should put a frozen pinky in instead of always trying to feed him live fuzzies he is 3 months old
    I never assist feed with live - always with a pre-killed or f/t prey item.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I never assist feed with live - always with a pre-killed or f/t prey item.
    X2 live is a bad idea

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My het albino female has been causing me sleepless nights for what seems like weeks, but it actually has been just one week. When I used to be in the reptile hobby years ago - before the first piebald landed on USA soil - I had 'assist fed' a couple snakes. My original two snakes getting back into the hobby never need assisting - they'd eat a rubber mouse/rat if you scented it like a live one. So I needed some coaching and guidance as to what to do.

But tonight, I needed to help her get on her way with eating. She was too emaciated to hope she'd turn around on her own (she never fed for me, but I was told she fed for the breeder). *shrug*

Thanks to Mr. Bailey's clear and concise instructions I had my girl finishing a f/t hopper on her own. My info search + the "procedure" took just 10 minutes! No, it wasn't a quick fire challenge, but methodical and steady work... act like you have all night and day and it'll take five minutes. And yes, while I was as careful as I could be, I truly hope I didn't do her any harm and hope next week that she takes a live rat pinky. In any event, I think I'll be happy with progress so far and will sleep well tonight. Thank you 100x over.
    Last edited by CA cowgirl; 11-13-2009 at 04:41 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CA cowgirl For This Useful Post:

muddoc (12-01-2009)

Thanks

just a note that its not always neccasary to push the mouse in very far or hook its teeth on the prey. The majority of the ones I have assist fed took the mouse just by having it placed in thier mouth. They instantly coil the second they feel it. I would definately do what was suggested for any snakes that spit it out right away but if its the first time Id give the snake a chance before pushing it further in and closing the mouth so the teeth catch.
    1.0 50% het clown 1.0 50% het lavender 2.6 normal bp 1.0 normal poss axanthic 1.0 het pied bp 1.0 yellow belly 1.0 mojave bp 2.0 spider bp 2.1 pastel bp1.1 Cinnamon bp
    7.0 corns - normal motley stripe het snow,anery a het hypo, snow, red candy cane, motley stripe orange candy cane, anery motley possible ghost , butter motley 0.6 corns -amel,high white amel,creamsicle,ghost, snow, orange candy cane 1.0 albino jungle corn, 1.0 mexican black king, 1.0 california king, 1.0 milk snake 0.1 kenyan sand boa 0.1 dummerils boa 1.1 bci normal, 0.1 pastel bci,0.1 kahl albino bci,1.0 salmon het kahl albino bci, 0.1 guatamalan boa 0.1 hogg island boa 1.0 JCP 0.1 woma python 3.0 leos-normal,blizzard,rw albino,rw b blizzard 0.7 leos-normal,hypo tangerine,mack snow,albino, rwb blizzard,raptor, rw albino 0.1 C. Turneri (thick toed gecko)1.1 crested gecko0.1rose hair T. 0.0.1 black emporer scorpion
    1.0 beardie

http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com Kryptonian Reptiles now on Facebook

Registered User dragoonmaster1781's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Re: Assist Feeding Instructions

I have a baby male ball python. I bought him wednesday, they guy selling him to feed him friday or saturday. Well we got the mouse(hopper) friday, cuz we wanted feeding day to b friday. We had to assist feed this afternoon. He ate it. My gf opened his mouth with a ear swab(saw on youtube) then I put in the hopper. Lu(my snake) bit down right away, she then removed the swab and in minutes the little hopper was gone. Lol, Lu wanted more. Is that a good sign?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Wish I had this write up a few years back, ran into a lady at the pet store who had been shoving mice down her bp's throat with a pencil for an entire year. I was so horrified I didn't even know how to respond.
    Omg that's horrible!!!!
    Snakes are just as fun of a pet as a cat or dog, just easier to feed.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I have found that the most vitally important part of all this is to remain perfectly statue-still after setting the snake down, and not to close the bin. Any disturbance, and the snake is almost certain to spit it back out, but with patience, the food goes down the hatch instead. As soon as it's cleared the mouth, I can close the bin and walk away.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I have found that the most vitally important part of all this is to remain perfectly statue-still after setting the snake down, and not to close the bin. Any disturbance, and the snake is almost certain to spit it back out, but with patience, the food goes down the hatch instead. As soon as it's cleared the mouth, I can close the bin and walk away.
    I got mine to feed just by putting it in its mouth, it chopped down and started swallowing it.
    Snakes are just as fun of a pet as a cat or dog, just easier to feed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CA cowgirl View Post
    My het albino female has been causing me sleepless nights for what seems like weeks, but it actually has been just one week. When I used to be in the reptile hobby years ago - before the first piebald landed on USA soil - I had 'assist fed' a couple snakes. My original two snakes getting back into the hobby never need assisting - they'd eat a rubber mouse/rat if you scented it like a live one. So I needed some coaching and guidance as to what to do.

But tonight, I needed to help her get on her way with eating. She was too emaciated to hope she'd turn around on her own (she never fed for me, but I was told she fed for the breeder). *shrug*

Thanks to Mr. Bailey's clear and concise instructions I had my girl finishing a f/t hopper on her own. My info search + the "procedure" took just 10 minutes! No, it wasn't a quick fire challenge, but methodical and steady work... act like you have all night and day and it'll take five minutes. And yes, while I was as careful as I could be, I truly hope I didn't do her any harm and hope next week that she takes a live rat pinky. In any event, I think I'll be happy with progress so far and will sleep well tonight. Thank you 100x over.
    You're quite welcome. I am glad the thread was helpful, as that was my original intent.

I do still need to add some pics, as I have been busy lately, but I do have 2 snakes that I am still assisting, and I might grab some pics of the process this week while I am assisting.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dragoonmaster1781 View Post
    I got mine to feed just by putting it in its mouth, it chopped down and started swallowing it.
    You had an easy one, lol.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast