Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

2 members and 2,968 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist BP's

Thanks

Craigslist BP's

Why are there so many BP's on craigslist? Seems like they are all around 3 years old (Mainly normals although there are exceptions) when people start to adopt them out? Just curious. I've been involved in dog rescue for many years. So I am not terribly surprised, but also am a bit. Seems most people are rehoming because they are moving which I find odd. They don't require that much room do they? I'd adopt one but being a newbie am afraid of getting something with a disease etc... which is why I am going with a breeder. Anyways, just curious what your thoughts are on this. Poor snakes!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Craigslist BP's

People get into reptiles for various reasons, some do for the "cool factor" generally those will be the first ones losing their interest once the cool actor wares off.

Some people’s lives change dramatically and usually pets are the first things that have to go.

I think it's like many other things people lose interest, their life changes the animal need to be re-homed, many different reasons really but I would suspect that loss of interest would be the primary one.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

what city are you looking at because i cant find any?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bads15 View Post
    what city are you looking at because i cant find any?
    Just google "craigslist, ball pythons" and it'll display listings as the search results. It's also how you search multiple cities at once.

As for the subject of the thread...I love craigslist/local classified's. I found all my normal females on there and took into my care from a negligent owner a male normal named moo, who jumpstarted me back into the hobby of BP keeping. If you saw any of my new pic threads all my females are healthy girls and theyre all from The Snake Keeper (2) and John Berry Reptiles(1). All three girls I think Ive paid 125 total for, and theyre gorgeous, so Ive had good experiences with Craigslist.
    ]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    People get into reptiles for various reasons, some do for the "cool factor" generally those will be the first ones losing their interest once the cool actor wares off.

Some people’s lives change dramatically and usually pets are the first things that have to go.

I think it's like many other things people lose interest, their life changes the animal need to be re-homed, many different reasons really but I would suspect that loss of interest would be the primary one.
    Our BP's demand passion and attention that some people can not provide. First it's a display, then it's a nuisance. Disappointing throw-away mentality towards animals...so sad.
    ]

Thanks

IMO, it is because so many are imported into the United States every year, which brings the price down. Some even sell for around $5 each. If there were fewer available, they would be worth more money. If they were more expensive, people would be less likely to buy them, and then want to get rid of them.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

cool, thanks PAVLOVK1025. i will try that.

Thanks

Yer welcome.
    ]

Thanks

wow theirs all kinds of deals in the states. wish i could find those deals up here in toronto ontario.

Thanks

I see them quite often on SF craigslist, and they are usually between 1-3 years old and normals. Like the others have said, I believe it's a combination of two things - getting over the novelty of snake ownership, and uncontrollable changes in one's situation. For example, one guy trying to sell his right now is being deployed... not much he can do about that, although I guess you could say "why did he get a snake knowing he's in the military?" But for all we know he just joined up, so I try not to judge!

Unfortunately that's a rare example, however, and most simply don't want to bother anymore. I love the ones who say "I'm moving" or "I don't have the space and/or time for them." Puuuuulease. BPs are very easy to care for (if you just have them as a pet), take up little space, and unless you're moving overseas it's unlikely he/she couldn't come along. I used to volunteer at a cat rescue, and it was the same old story... I wish those people would at least be honest, and admit they don't want the responsibility anymore. I think we've all had to re-home a pet at one time or another, but treating them like disposable possessions is NOT cool.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast