Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 809

0 members and 809 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Hedgepiggies

Thanks

Smile My Hedgepiggies

Not only do I have my lovely BP but I also have 3 hedgehogs.

This is my oldest girl Luna. She's a little over 3 years now. She is very sweet and doesn't really ball up much anymore, she'll put up with alot haha.

This is my second oldest girl Kishi, she's going to be 3 in August. She has an attitude and can be grumpy but she's also very sweet (when she feels like it).

And here is my albino "baby" Izzy. She's just over 2 years old. She is my mom's girl pretty much, she is quite attached to her. She also makes some of the weirdest noises I have ever heard.

Loads more pics if anyone wants hehe! Who else has hedgehogs? Put up some pics!

Thanks

Re: My Hedgepiggies

i have a hedgie either

1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Hurricane Hypo
    0.1 %66 PH hypo
    Hedgehogs:Bailey, Shinzi, Nebula, Shuffle & Thor
    African grey - Jayden

Thanks

OOO very cool. I know very little on hedgies. What would you compare them to? Are they very social? What do they feed on? ...and the question which youve been asked 2000 times....are their spines sharp?
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

that little nose is SO cute.

Deborah Stewart

Thanks

your so lucky, there illegal in pennsylvania.

Thanks

Thanks! That's sad that they are illegal, they're such fun animals, they're really good pets. Hehe the noses are quite adorable!

I'm not really sure what I'd compare them to. I don't know if I can compare them to any other animal I've met. For the most part they're pretty shy. They may ball up or "huff" at you. Usually if you pick them up and have something for them to hide in like a blanket they'll calm down and lay with you or poke their heads out and explore. The spikes aren't too bad once you get used to them. When they are flat they don't feel like spikes at all. But if they're in a ball and doing the "click jump" it feels weird. Kishi does this alot. She kind of jumps and pulses and makes a clicking noise to let you know she doesn't want to be picked up. It kind of just pushes the spikes into your skin more. It would feel kind of like squeezing a brush with stiff bristles. I've never had my skin broken by one though (aside from the stray ones that end up in the carpet that you step on at 3 A.M on your sleepy way to the bathroom). :|

They can be social but for the most part they're not. I believe hedgehogs are solitary animals who don't really want or need a cage buddy. It's best not to keep them together from what I've heard. Even if they are getting along ok they may turn around and change their mind. Boys will usually always fight with each other, girl plus boy..well we all know what that equals hehe and girls and girls can work but it's still better to house them separately. The two brown girls of mine get along. They will curl up together or explore the couch/hallway/floor together, but once in awhile one will annoy the other. I wouldn't trust them to live together though. Izzy, my albino, doesn't get along with the others and chases and bites them. She is the youngest but also the scariest hehe. They seem to enjoy the company of me or mom more. They are used to us now and love to stretch out on a lap and get foot massages or tummy rubs, it took awhile to get them that used to us though. But very worth it.

Most people feed them high quality cat food. I have Chicken Soup For The Cat Lover's Soul. Other good brands I've heard of people using are Innova, Blue Spa Select, Wellness Healthy Weight, Royal Canin, Felidae, Nutro and quite a few others. Some people feed a combination of cat foods. They also like treats like turkey, chicken, hamburger, cottage cheese, egg, yam, sweet potato, apple, banana, blueberry, pear, baby food, carrots etc. That's just a small list of treats my girls like.

This forum for chinchillas and hedgehogs is awesome! You can find anything you want to know on here and check out tons of cute pics! http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/index.php

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LunaMidnight For This Useful Post:

Jerhart (06-19-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Hedge hogs are awsome!!! Yours are beautiful!!! My wife loves them and did a lot of research on them but we never did end up getting one
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Aw thank you. You should get one, or two, or three! They're really sweet pets.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Are they expensive to keep? I really want one but would need to learn more about them. Also, my school doesn't really allow mammals but they don't care really. It's my parents I worry about more. We have a cat, so I think they won't like the idea.

Where do you even get them anyways? I found an ad on CL selling one for $150, is that worth it?

Another thing. Do you keep the cages in the same room as your snake(s)? Would it put them in feeding mode all the time?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I just found out through that forum that hedgehogs only live for 2-4 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast