Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,009

2 members and 3,007 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Newly acuired snake with what appears to be a bad case of scale rot

I picked up a snake to day and it has some problems. I believe it is scale rot due to unsanitary conditions. Just to be clear, this snake came to me today in this condition. I am just asking for any suggestions from anyone who has dealt with this in the past.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9559405...7619855059287/
    The stuff that looks like scale rot is real bad on the scales just under the vent. There is quite a bit under the head and neck area. It also wraps around to the back of the neck and onto the head. It has damaged one eye to the point that it is sunk in and it no longer has any vision in that eye.

Plan of action.

1. Daily soak and light scrub with antibacterial soap. Rinse and dry. Apply chlorhexidine solution and let dry. Apply triple antibiotic ointment twice daily.

2. Clean paper towels put down in tub daily.

3. Get vet check ASAP.

The snake is quarantined, of course, in a room separate from the main collection. It is in a 28qt tub with paper towel "substrate". The room temp is kept at a solid 80 degrees. 4" flexwatt on a johnson controls thermostat keeps the hot side at a steady 90 degrees. Humidity has fluctuated from 60 to 80% today. Not sure where it should be. I have a dehumidifier on a humidistat ready to go. I've heard that you want to treat scale rot with higher humidity than usual. Temps and humidity are measured with an acurite indoor outdoor and backed up with an IR temp gun.

Other than the stuff that might be scale rot, the snake seems to be in good health. It is active and alert, lots of tounge movement. Its mouth looks clean and clear. No sings of RI. No signs of mites. It is on the skinny side. If what the guy I got her from says is true, she dropped eggs about a month ago, so the under weight appearance would be expected. I did offer food anyway, just to see if she was starving. She refused as I expected she would.

I have called for a vet appointment. My snake vet happens to be out of town until next Wednesday. I made an appointment for then. I'm going to call around and see if I can find someone to see her tomorrow.

So has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? Hows my plan look? Just curious just in case I can't get into a vet until next week. Just making sure nothing I'm doing is going to be harmful. Oh and were should the ambient humidity be in this case?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Newly acuired snake with what appears to be a bad case of scale rot

How is it that no one has replied to this yet? Bumping it back up for you.

I'm not experienced enough with stuff like this to say much, but from the pics, I've seen pics of much worse cases that have recovered, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Definitely get it taken care of, but no need to panic.
    Casey

Thanks

Your plan sounds great!

You might skip the antibacterial soap part though. Usually a soak in a Chlorhexidine bath would suffice. Once a day to every other day.

Pull her out and dry her off, then apply your ointment. Ask your vet for Silvadene/Thermazene. Its better IMO than any other topical stuff, it's also water based so theres no risk of scales falling off from a petroleum based one.

Towels sound great.

Make sure she can't soak in her bowl, make sure it's small enough.

She WILL look better, but it may not look like it's cleared up entirely. After she shed it should be all cleared up. You know what your doing, just get into a routine, and stick with it. If it doesn't get any better, or gets worse, she MAY need antibiotics.

You'll be just fine

HTH

Thanks

I have to agree w/ the above statement, But of course as you yourself stated a Vet visit is in order. Even if she looks better, still bring her. Nothing beats professional medical care
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

I don't know anything about scale rot, but I am glad she is with you now. The poor girl. She will have the good life now. Thanks for rescuing her!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to akaangela For This Useful Post:

dapike1979 (08-21-2009)

Thanks

The treatment sounds just fine.

The antibacterial soap is perfectly okay to use. It gets rid of the triple antibiotic ointment from previous nights and lets the skin air out. This needs to happen! Just rinse, let dry for a bit, then soak in chlorhexidine, dry, apply AB ointment. You don't HAVE to use the Silvadene, which is mainly for worse cases.

I would actually try to raise the heat a bit, preferably to 93-95, cool side is fine, and lower the humidity to around 50%. The least amount of moisture the better. Nice small water bowl so she can't soak.

If you feel she is improving, then there is no need for a vet visit unless you just feel the snake needs to be looked over. I would get a fecal check though just in case.

I rescued a 1 year old Ball last year from a member on this forum. She came to me with a very bad burn on her belly 1/3 down from her neck all the way to her tail. It was blistered and very fluid-filled. Once I got all of the blisters popped, I scrubbed her down with Ivory then soaked her in Chlorhexidine while I scrubbed her belly. Let her dry then lubed her up with neosporin. After one shed, her belly had dried out and the dead tissue was falling off. After 2 sheds, you could barely see that she had been burned and after 3 sheds, you couldn't tell she had ever had a problem. They heal very well when given the proper conditions.

Unless you notice a smell from her belly, I don't forsee a vet visit minus the fecal exam.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SatanicIntention For This Useful Post:

2kdime (06-20-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    I rescued a 1 year old Ball last year from a member on this forum. She came to me with a very bad burn on her belly 1/3 down from her neck all the way to her tail. It was blistered and very fluid-filled. Once I got all of the blisters popped, I scrubbed her down with Ivory then soaked her in Chlorhexidine while I scrubbed her belly.
    Becky, I know you know your stuff, so this is just me trying to become more knowledgeable, not questioning you in a negative sense.

I always thought it was advised to not pop blisters, because breaking the skin to drain the blister creates an opening for infection to set in. Is this different with snakes? Different in this case because you said it was "very" fluid filled? Please explain!

Thanks!
    Casey

Thanks

That's because human doctors are mostly not so smart

I like to drain them and scrub the crapola out of them. Gets them healing faster at least in my experience. If I ever have a blister, I pop it, scrub it, put some AB ointment on it and it's gone in a day.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    That's because human doctors are mostly not so smart
    LOL! I hear that!

So you would recommend popping it and removing the skin flap to be able to clean it?
    Casey

Thanks

any updates
    1.0 Normal ball python
    and my other animals 1.1 dogs

BG and Skiploder fan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast