Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

1 members and 2,876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Do you have an ADULT Savannah Monitor?

Is it me...or does nobody have an adult Savannah Monitor.

Although one of the more common monitors seen in the pet trade...they are probably one of my favorites.

You seem to always see hatchling/juvenile imported specimen. I have seen some threads here of individuals showing off their juvie savs....but I dont think I have seen anyone on here with an adult sav? Where are all the adult savs?

So if you have a big fat sav...show'm off!!!!
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

Re: Do you have an ADULT Savannah Monitor?

More then likely there dead. Not many make it to adulthood. Poor husbandry

Thanks

two of the people in my herp club have adults. one of which is 13 years old. you really don't see adults though. its sad!! they are cheap and people buy them and never really take good care of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerhart View Post
    Is it me...or does nobody have an adult Savannah Monitor.

Although one of the more common monitors seen in the pet trade...they are probably one of my favorites.

You seem to always see hatchling/juvenile imported specimen. I have seen some threads here of individuals showing off their juvie savs....but I dont think I have seen anyone on here with an adult sav? Where are all the adult savs?

So if you have a big fat sav...show'm off!!!!
    By the same token how often do you see large constrictors or other large monitors? Not saying that there aren't some out there but certainly not enough to keep pace with the people posting about their new "cute" purchases.

Thanks

Sad but true.

A $30 baby sav/Nile/water imported into the country is quite appealing to the "I'm gonna get me a big ass lizard" types who know nothing about the proper husbandry requirements of these amazing intelligent animals.

Besides being stressed, starved and parasitized, they are kept in deplorable living conditions, get photos and vids pasted on YouTube, and are then dead shortly thereafter.

There are, however, many excellent keepers of varanids and teiids out there, who invest the time and money required to properly care for these awesome creatures and reap the rewards in their relationships.

Don't have a sav, too small for me, but here's a pic of our male Argentine tegu...

"That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

Yep, sure do, he's a rescue named Lucky, and he is perhaps the greatest pet I have ever had. It was a challenge to get him back to health, but well worth it. His actual age is unknown, but i would hazard a guess that he is at least 5 years old.

When he was first brought to me in October 2008.

Late October during his recovery.

During a 4H event nearby back in March.
    YouTube - John and Lucky

He's still doing great!
    The Cake is a Lie
    John Cordone
    Blue Water Reptiles
    I'm a BOI Good Guy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    By the same token how often do you see large constrictors or other large monitors? Not saying that there aren't some out there but certainly not enough to keep pace with the people posting about their new "cute" purchases.
    I see pictures of larger constrictors more and more often now that I pay attention to morelia

I also see many more large constrictors than large lizards(no savs, but some rhino iguanas) at the places I purchase my feeders from.

I definitely think that it's an issue of not many savs making it to adulthood.

Thanks

Wow John! He looks great! I love that clip! I love Savs!
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerhart For This Useful Post:

FragginDragon (06-18-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I see pictures of larger constrictors more and more often now that I pay attention to morelia

I also see many more large constrictors than large lizards(no savs, but some rhino iguanas) at the places I purchase my feeders from.

I definitely think that it's an issue of not many savs making it to adulthood.
    I think people who buy amethystines or even large liasis (think olive pythons) have to go a bit out of their way to find their animals. As a whole, it think it lends itself to the buyers being a bit more discriminating and perhaps prepared.

I think a lot of monitors in general do not make it to adulthood. It's a combination of many things - wild caught animals, parasites, and the inability of many people to provide them the room and husbandry conditions they need to thrive.

Large snakes generally do not have the same issues health-wise, but many are forsaken because people often buy them without realizing the full extent of the care they are going to need.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Moggie is a blackthroat instead of a sav, but I've had her since she was little, and now she's adult. I love her, but having kept her so long, I do understand how folks get in over their heads buying a lizard that will get so large.
    They aren't cheap to feed properly, and of course having/buying/building a proper sized enclosure, all the cleaning, the discovering that they generally are not 'puppys in scales' in behavior, it all tends to add up to the lizard just ending up neglected, given away or dead. The large monitors are not for the hesitant! If you wonder if you can/should keep a adult one, then you probably should not.

I'll state, I was advised Most Strongly NOT to get a blackthroat. I was told when I got her anyway, that I would be contacting them within a week saying "Come get this thing!" and although I cannot say that I've NEVER regretted getting Moggie, I certainly am glad that I DID get her. She's a wonder and a joy! And she is NOT a "pet" and not a puppy-dog tame lizard! She's a typical grumpy monitor! You just have to be a special person to appreciate monitor lizards that can eat your face!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast