Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,494

2 members and 1,492 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello there!

Thanks

Hello there!

Hi! I'm a new Ball mommy, but i figured I would post here instead of the intro thread.

I got my girl about a month ago, she's a darling. From what I've read in the threads, and how she acts, she's very comfortable with me. She's never hissed / struck me or even tried to, she even sometimes comes to my hand when I reach in her tank to pick her up.

She's eaten every time I've fed her, too. I'm glad with her. I think she's pleased to be with me, and I hope you guys enjoy her pics and my postings about her!

This is the very first pic of her I took; she looks happy to me. Since then her tank has gotten a hidey and she's gotten a new bedding, since I was worried about the roughness of the bedding I was initially given for her.

I'm honestly not sure she's even a female, the seller was quick to poke her butt and tell me it was a female.

I don't even have a name for her yet! People keep telling me she should be named after a god/goddess. But, I dunno! I just call her 'Snakey'.

I've fed her ~four times, but I think the things i'm feeding her aren't big enough? I'm not sure. I've been told so many different things that I don't know what's right!

She had never been fed when I brought her home.. and she's about 18/19 inches long. I was told by several people to feed her pinkies, and then to feed her fuzzies... and then when I took her into the the reptile store, they said she was small and to feed her pinkies! I've read here that she's big enough for hoppers? I'm worried those are way too big for her.

But, anyway. Hi, and advice is more than welcome! :3 <3

Thanks

Re: Hello there!

nice looking bp. he/she is definitely ready for hoppers or rat pups. do you know the weight? at 18-19 inches my guess is ~130 grams but you would want to know for sure and feed 10%-15% of their body weight on empty.
    0.1 Normal ~ Taffy
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Cinnamon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

X 2, also make sure you have 2 hides, for cool side & warm side,,,,
    Last edited by llovelace; 06-17-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: oops
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

and good looking snake!
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Welcome to bp.net
    Troy Van Orman/Kysenia www.prairielandpythons.com(daily blog and updates!)tavopt@prairierehab.com

Thanks

Are you feeding snakey frozen thawed(f/t) or are you feeding live? Not that it really matters but if it's f/t, you can purchase some rat pups in bulk and keep them in the freezer, that way if feeding live you don't have to worry if your snake decides not to take it and you have a rat pup on your hands. A rat pup I believe does not even have it's eyes open yet so it's pretty hard in that respect(not that I expect your bp not to take it, but it's a bp and these things happen)..

Just take your hand and wrap it around the snake at the biggest part lightly, and that is how big around the food item should be. A little bigger is ok so don't freak out if you notice a bulge in your snake.

Do you notice a bulge in your snake after eating now? You should actually notice a slight bulge.

FYI, pinkies aren't a choice food for bp's.. They are able to take fuzzies right out of the egg from what I understand/read for the last 9 months around here.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks

Welcome..... I have a baby that is 19 inches long and weighing in at 109 grams..... He is big enough for small Hoppers and even some adult mice.... I feed pinkies to my garter snakes.
    1 baby normal ball python (male- Rios)
    1 baby spider ball python (female - Missy)
    1 albino checkered garter (male - Little Dude)
    1 checkered garter (male - Hudinie)
    1 albion checkered garter (female - Rescue)

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

Thanks

Welcome to the site In addition to what others have said I suggest you read through the caresheet on this website.

While read keep in mind that snake keeping is not an exact science and you will see that people do things differently with success.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/...warticle&id=59

If you have any questions feel free to ask
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Thank you all for the welcome and point in the right direction! I will definitely get her a hopper or a rat pup next. I feed her live. The people who I live with freaked at the idea of me keeping frozen dead mice and rats in the freezer, and I can only find bulk supplies. I don't mind pre-killing if it's safer, I just would need to know a good humane kill method.

I don't know her weight, since I don't have a scale, but I can probably take her with me to the reptile store and get her weighed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast