Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

1 members and 3,122 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New breeding normal (and other critters)

After lots of thinking and weighing the options, I decided to go ahead and get a large breeding female... I originally wanted another Pastel or Spider to breed with Toby, but it just wasn't feasible for the upcoming season. I'm actually on vacation in San Diego right now, and knew they had a few reputable breeders around - so I went to one of them, and put a deposit on an adult 0.1 normal I'll pick up on Tuesday (before heading home). I think they said she weighs ~700g now, and is a very good eater, so she should be ready to breed next season.

She's a little shy from living in a store/breeder, but I think she will be very sweet after some handling. Here are a couple of pictures from the store (crappy cell phone camera), and a few other animals I saw while there. FYI - she was literally shedding at this moment, so her color is a little faded. But of all the large females they had, we agreed she'd be the prettiest match with my Toby. I'll post better pics when I have her home!

Seriously shedding...

Her "cagemate" who seemed nicer, but wasn't quite as pretty (mine is behind her)

Some of the new babies - awwwww

Tree Python... I love these snakes, especially the yellow variety

And finally, a giant tortoise and his little(r) friend
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New breeding normal (and other critters)

I'm happy for you that you're getting her, but I think I'd be questionable on this being a "reputable" breeder, without knowing who it is. From the pictures, the animals don't look well cared for. The babies are too thin, your girl needs shed assistance, and the green tree pythons look dehydrated.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

dc4teg (06-15-2009),scutechute (06-15-2009)

Thanks

agreed and the gtp also looks like it could use a good soaking if i am correct in seeing some stuck shed
    0.1 normal bp
    1.0 pastel bp
    1.1 100% het hypo bp
    0.1 bci
    1.1 crested gecko
    0.1 day gecko
    1.0 african grey parrot
    0.2 dogs

Thanks

Oh snap! She'll be better when she's in your hands Im sure.
    ]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pavlovk1025 For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (06-15-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I'm happy for you that you're getting her, but I think I'd be questionable on this being a "reputable" breeder, without knowing who it is. From the pictures, the animals don't look well cared for. The babies are too thin, your girl needs shed assistance, and the green tree pythons look dehydrated.
    Hmmmmmm... well, it's a local exotics specialty shop with a good/long reputation, at least according to the locals. Now you have me worried, though, so I might go check out another place tomorrow (South Bay Reptiles or LLLReptile). My deposit at the other store could be applied to credit, and would easily cover the cage & supplies.

I don't know enough about GTPs to comment on dehydration, and I thought the baby BPs looked perfectly healthy in person. As for the shedding on my girl, she literally started that as I was standing there. Like five minutes earlier she was only showing it on the nose, and didn't start shedding the rest until I came back to peek in on her. It seemed to be sliding off easily, and the store clerk was watching with me.... so I'm sure they will help if it gets stuck. Overall I thought they were very knowledgeable, and they even have a special "reptile staff" and counter, so you aren't getting general help. But if you see red flags, I will certainly go check out the other places & compare. Thanks for the comments, and I'll let you know what happens.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

Here's where that snake is from: http://www.yelp.com/biz/pet-kingdom-san-diego

They got 4/5 stars with 24 reviews, which is very good for Yelpers. The only bad reviews were regarding customer service (they were very friendly to me!), and one person who claims his lizard had mites - but another poster called them uninformed, yadda yadda. Anyway, I would appreciate more input asap, before I make the final decision on this girl!
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

P.S. Can somebody post a link to that site where people review snake breeders? I couldn't remember it the other day, which is why I ended up on Yelp.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

i hope you can get what you want in your care, on top of what all have said, the fact that there are multiple bp's in one enclosure is not a sign that the person knows whats good for the animal. I understand maybe needing multiple animals in an enclosure, but imo that would be fish. A good breeder of bp's will have one per enclosure...anyways if you get one it will be better in your care for sure....
    Troy Van Orman/Kysenia www.prairielandpythons.com(daily blog and updates!)tavopt@prairierehab.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kysenia For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (06-15-2009)

Thanks

What to do, what to do?

So......... do y'all think I should take her or not? Waltah sent me the BOI link (thanks!), and I just perused it for a little while. Reptile Kingdom got mostly good comments, and the bad ones were only regarding customer service & money. Apparently they are more reliable than LLL, so I'm not sure things are as bad as they appeared. Regardless, like a few of you said, she would be better in my care - but I don't want an unhealthy or poorly bred snake. Argh!
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

I have been to "Pet Kingdom" and it isnt the best reptile store but average. It has a lot of stuff, more then the average place, and the animals are kept somewhat well. Example. Many of the snakes are not housed together. Ball pythons are usually kept singularly. A thing that did bother me tho are those Sulcatas (sp?) you pictured, last time I was in there was about 10 in the 10x10 pin ranging in sizes from 10" to 20" all fighting and such. It was sad. Some knoledgable staff and some not buttttt a couple cute girls who work there as well .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast