Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,021

4 members and 2,017 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Horses sold.

Thanks

Horses sold.

Well, I sold my two mares today. In preparation for our move. It's bittersweet; on one hand, I know that we could not logically keep them and haul them across country, for financial reasons. On the other hand, a selfish part of me is inside crying, that now I am not a horse owner anymore.

I definately plan on taking some riding lessons once we move. I have owned these mares for years, but really haven't done much with them, short of rescuing them years ago and giving them a place to live/vegetate. The family who cought them, is awesome, and will have the time to work with them daily, and do things with them.

I will be better off, I think, learning more about riding and gaining experience. I have tons of experience in horse keeping/maintenance, but not much fun riding experience. My keeping them, has been mainly cleaning up in the miserable wintertime, and just having them as lawn ornaments otherwise.. granted, they are well-behaved and ridden sometimes; and fully handleable. but still.. I guess that this was the right thing to do. No, I know it.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Horses sold.

Sorry that you had to let them go, but it sounds as though your mares will be pretty happy where they're going!

You're going to be an asset to the horses you meet in the future - and a welcome friend.

~Bruce

Thanks

I know the feeling. I had bought an arab mare at an auction years ago that was known for kill buyers, and she was a great horse. We were going to be moving and I needed a car. I posted a few ads, and my mare really picked the person she wanted to go to.
    I know she went to a great home, and I only lasted a little over a year before buying another horse at an auction. I did work at a stable and did lease a mare before that though.

I know its hard, but you will keep a foot in w/ lessons.
    Carol

Thanks

Thanks

Bruce; it was definately a comfort for me, to know that they were going, together, to a really great home. The family showed me pics of their farm, and invited me to come up and see them whenever I wanted to; and also, we exchanged emails to keep in touch.

Carol; I can't wait to get back up in the saddle! I am excited about the prospect of taking lessons when we move. I found a farm that's close to our target area, which offers lessons for free in exchange for working around there. So even if we are dirt-poor, I will have horses in my future, no matter what!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.