Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,588

1 members and 1,587 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

HELP Injured Orphan Baby Bird!

Today we found what I think is a baby robin who had fallen onto concrete out of its nest. It seems to have an injury on its jaw (small one on head too maybe?), but it has stopped bleeding. It can still open its mouth. We could see the mother, but didn't think it could help the baby, so we brought it back to the house. It is in a small box right now in a nest of toilet paper. It is very young and has only just started to grow feathers it seems. I tried to give it a small worm (?) but it wouldn't eat it.

Does anyone know how we should care for it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    You know you're into reptiles when...

" You tell people on the phone 'I can't talk now, I've got a lizard on my head!!!' " (NERD)

Thanks

Re: HELP Injured Orphan Baby Bird!

I'm really not sure, but if I were you, I would call the local wildlife rehabilitation center and see what they suggest. Or even a vet

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Creeptastic For This Useful Post:

BallPythons9 (06-10-2009)

Thanks

Re: HELP Injured Orphan Baby Bird!

A vet will probably not be able to help, unless they are an avian vet. Most will tell you to set the baby outside and let nature take it's course.

Your best route is to contact a local wild bird rehab. Babies need to eat every 3-4 hours when that young. You can try a soft bill hand feeding formula from your local pet place, or this mixture works well:

1 jar beef baby food
    Egg Yolk
    1 tbsp orange juice

Mix it up, warm small portions to feed, put the rest in the fridge for keeping. I use a syringe to hand feed. Its very easy to aspirate young babies, so be careful. I would still try and find the nest and put the baby back. Its a big fat myth momma birds will not accept their young once they 'smell' a human on them. I have replaced many a fallen baby to find mama takes them back JUST fine.
    Sarah Smith

Veterinary Technician

- 5.8 Ball Pythons - 0.2 Border Collies - 0.1 Pugaranian - 1.0 Black Lab - 0.1 Retarded Cat - 1.2 Carpet Sharks - 2.0 Fish -

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ophidiophile For This Useful Post:

BallPythons9 (06-11-2009)