Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

2 members and 3,397 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: new bp!!!

Thanks

new bp!!!

Well I went and picked up my new bp last night. It's kind of an adoption deal, came with 55 gal. tank hide, 2 lamps and a uth(it's to small tho) I went today and picked up an acurite and a reptitemp 500r and hae everything set up now just trying to get the temps right. I put the sensor for the acurite in his hide above the substrate, is this right? I put the sensor for the 500r between the tank and the uth, soundin good so far? I need to go get two new hides for him as he only has one right now. He is just under 4 ft. how big of a hide does he need? I don't have any pics yet b/c I'm letting him settle in before handling and will wait til a few days after he eats to have him out long enough for pics. If I'm missin somethin let me know. Thanks for all the great info on this site!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: new bp!!!

Accurite temp probe should go under the substrate right on the glass above the UTH.

Get two identical hides for him that he can barely fit into. the tighter the fit, the better. Those half log hides are no good, but the rock cave type are great.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

What kind of lid/cover. If it's a screen cover you will want to cover most of if with foil,etc. to keep in heat/humidity. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good job. I also keep some of my sensors under the hide on the hot side, just make sure your snake doesn't move the sensor away from the heat source/ might get too hot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bowden View Post
    What kind of lid/cover. If it's a screen cover you will want to cover most of if with foil,etc. to keep in heat/humidity. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good job. I also keep some of my sensors under the hide on the hot side, just make sure your snake doesn't move the sensor away from the heat source/ might get too hot.
    This was a prob. I ran into with my tank. I was/am using a screen but getting ready to make some Lexan tops to hold the hum. in.
    0.0.1 Ball Python

Thanks

Thanks again guys. I will move my probe under the substrate. I have a screen top but the humidity was actualy to high. I just put the heat lamp on the 500r and it has brought the humidity down to right at 50% so I'm good there for now but do plan on putting foil on the screens if the hum. starts to drop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    Accurite temp probe should go under the substrate right on the glass above the UTH.

Get two identical hides for him that he can barely fit into. the tighter the fit, the better. Those half log hides are no good, but the rock cave type are great.
    I must disagree. My bp LOVES her half log.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    I must disagree. My bp LOVES her half log.
    Have you ever used the other type? They all prefer them. Trust me. If she is used to the half log, and you introduce a new hide it will take a while before they start to use them.
    ~Steffe