Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,954

0 members and 2,954 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

6 foot CD rat escaped!

So I noticed yesterday that I didn't see Casper, my large 6 foot, very possibly closer to 7 foot, cave dwelling rat snake peeking out at me like usual. So I decided to be nosy and I found a completely empty cage. I am particularly stumped because i thought the bags of sand on the corners of the lid of this large tank were sufficient enough to keep him in. Guess not

The bad news is, there is now a large, particularly angry snake on the loose in our house and I can't find the sucker anywhere!!! I know this species can climb very well so believe me I have looked both up and down. I KNOW he's not in the snakeroom, I tore it apart. He had to have squeezed out under the rather large gap under the door. Problem is, directly next to this door, is our basement door, which also has a large gap underneath. I have good reason to beleive that Casper is in our gigantic basement, full of stuff to hide in and climb on, because our 5 cats would be going nuts if he was anywhere they could see. I know Casper, being so large is not slick enough to avoid the attention of the cats in the upper levels of the house... and the cats are not acting weird at all. I already searched my house yesterday and today, with NO luck. HOW does one lose a 6 foot snake? I'm going to try going down there with a flashlight at night to catch him cruising around in the dark. He is big so I know he can go a long time without any food but I am worried I'll never find him because he's a climber who can go ANYWHERE

I know all the tricks with sprinkling flour, and plastic bags crinkling and even bottle/jug traps with food, but I am not sure any of this will work in our gigantic, generally uninhabited basement.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: 6 foot CD rat escaped!

Yikes, that is my husband's worst nightmare. I think he would move out if my ratsnake escaped. GOOD luck. May the finding snake karma be with you.

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

yea tell me about it!!! no one here is afraid of them, but I am so worried for Casper! He's GOT to turn up at some point... I would think... he's just SO not hard to miss!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Too bad you can't use infrared goggles. He would just blend in with the surroundings.

Good luck though!

Thanks

Good luck!, It is truely amazing how such a large snake can hide. I hope he is found safe and sound.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Good luck, Shannon! My Milk Snake is currently on the loose. He escaped from a clamped tub with binder clips! Sneaky little suckers!
    --Walt

Thanks

ands that why i dont keep rat snakes
    1.0 Normal ball python
    and my other animals 1.1 dogs

BG and Skiploder fan

Thanks

I found Casper!! Tonight I was walking down the basement stairs for my daily check when I saw the shelf at the bottom had a bunch of liquor bottles knocked onto the floor. (unbroken thankfully) I knew it was him!! I frantically started searching the shelves in that general vicinity and turned my head and suddenly came face to face with a very MAD, thirsty and hungry snake!!! I wrestled him out and ran him upstairs, boy was he thirsty!!! as I was pouring more water into his bowl he started biting the stream of water... I thought heh! You are probably hungry! He immediately devoured two rats... he NEVER does that!!! I usually have to leave them under his hide over night!! I am so glad he is safe and sound and now with 3x as much sand bags on his cage!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So glad to hear you found him!
    Casey

Thanks

glad to hear that trouble was found but I look into a custom cage or a cutsom lid that he can't push open to get out of lol.. after a while you mae need to use bricks and ifyuo not cafeful will end up with a injured snake,self, and possible broken tank or at the worst all three. which would really ruin anyones day.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast