Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

0 members and 3,320 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weirdo......

Thanks

weirdo......

Ok my snake is flipping odd..... Rios was just cruising the tank... Flicking tongue.,,, the whole nine yard. The he took a really big poo.... so I reach in to clean up his mess and he tags me twice! little son of a gun bite me twice. (did not hurt, just was not expecting it.) So I figured that he was probably hungry and taged my hand because it was warm. So I thawed a F/T mouse , and offerred it to him. and now he is acting like it is not even there. So I have left the mouse in the tank for the moment and hopefully he will eat it..... If not any suggestions on how to get a all the sudden picky eater to eat?
    1 baby normal ball python (male- Rios)
    1 baby spider ball python (female - Missy)
    1 albino checkered garter (male - Little Dude)
    1 checkered garter (male - Hudinie)
    1 albion checkered garter (female - Rescue)

Thanks

Re: weirdo......

Quote Originally Posted by k2l3d4 View Post
    Ok my snake is flipping odd..... Rios was just cruising the tank... Flicking tongue.,,, the whole nine yard. The he took a really big poo.... so I reach in to clean up his mess and he tags me twice! little son of a gun bite me twice. (did not hurt, just was not expecting it.) So I figured that he was probably hungry and taged my hand because it was warm. So I thawed a F/T mouse , and offerred it to him. and now he is acting like it is not even there. So I have left the mouse in the tank for the moment and hopefully he will eat it..... If not any suggestions on how to get a all the sudden picky eater to eat?
    you interrupted his business
    1.0 Ball Python: Monty
    0.1 Red Tail boa: Dixie
    0.1 Tree Boa: Carmen

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffJ For This Useful Post:

RoyalGuardian (06-06-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    you interrupted his business
    Maybe.... did not have to bite me for cleaning up after him though

Thanks

Maybe.... did not have to bite me for cleaning up after him though
    maybe he thought u were trying to wipe his but lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    maybe he thought u were trying to wipe his but lol
    .... Ok now to be serious... The first two weeks that i had him.. he was eating like a champ and now he is so flipping picky , and i am looking for tricks to getting him back to wanting to eat. He is only 109 grams so I do not want him to go too long with out eating......

With my Garters to switch them over to pinkies I scented the mice with the water from a can of tuna... Think something like that would work with a baby ball python that is being picky?

Thanks

You got in his space yo,
    you probally scared him, thats what happened to me
    0.1 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

Ok I understand that I got into his space.... Any ideas about feeding tricks for a picky eater? I feed F/T and not live. <y boyfriend does live with his 06 lady and I am not ready or willing to feed live if I do not absolutely have to .

Thanks

Ok I understand that I got into his space.... Any ideas about feeding tricks for a picky eater? I feed F/T and not live. <y boyfriend does live with his 06 lady and I am not ready or willing to feed live if I do not absolutely have to .
    percent and make sure the mouse is warm and do a good zombie dance im sure he will take it if he is hungry.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

From our Caresheet:

WHY WON'T MY SNAKE EAT?
    In almost all cases, a ball python refuses to eat due to husbandry issues. Especially a young one. If your snake misses more than one meal (sometimes they will not want to eat while in shed) please check the following possible causes:

Lack of Security -- No hides, or hides that are too large or exposed (ie: half logs). They prefer dark, tight hides they barely fit into. Also, if the enclosure is too large, or too open (glass) or in a high traffic area with a lot of loud noise or movement. Another snake in the same enclosure can also cause serious security issues.

Over Handling -- Frequent intrusions into the enclosure, changes to the enclosure, and/or long frequent handling sessions can cause a shy snake to feel vulnerable and refuse to eat.

Improper Temps -- Temps that are too high or too low, or temps that fluctuate too much. Make sure you have an accurate and consistent read on your temps.

Improper Lighting -- Bright white lights shining directly into the enclosure, or 24 hour lighting can cause stress. Make sure there is some sort of day/night cycle.

Offering New Prey -- Changing prey species (ie: mice to rats) or methods (ie: live to f/t) can cause refusal. Such changes can be made, but may require patience and persistence.

Improper Offering of Prey -- Offering prey too frequently can do more harm than good. If a snake refuses, do not attempt to feed again for a week. Also, changing environments by moving to a feeding-box or removing hides and "furniture" can cause refusal in these shy snakes.

Prey Too Large -- Too large an item may intimidate a snake and cause refusal, or even a regurgitation if it is eaten. Also, if a ball python has eaten large meals in the past, it can cause a sudden an indefinite period of fasting.

Mites -- An external parasite common to snakes that must be treated and eradicated. A product called Provent-a-Mite (P.A.M.) is the safest and most effective method.

Seasonal -- Sexually mature ball pythons may fast for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months during their mating season (typically anywhere from late fall to early spring) especially if a sexually mature snake of the opposite sex is in close proximity.

Illness -- If all other possible reasons are eliminated, a vet check may be in order to look for internal parasites, as well as possible infections to the skin, scales, mouth or respiratory system.

Fortunately, ball pythons are extremely hardy snakes that can go for months (if necessary) of fasting without suffering any ill effects. This gives a responsible keeper plenty of time to figure out why the snake refuses to eat and get them on a regular, consistent feeding regimen.
    -- Judy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

k2l3d4 (06-06-2009)

Thanks

I just was checking on him, because he had shifted the hide and was under teh edge of it instead in it..... I think that his tummy may be starting to turn a bit pink ;0 Maybe he is starting a shedding phase? He is only about 109 grams and has not shed since I have brought him home on May 14th. So possibly that is why he is not wanting to eat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast