Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

0 members and 3,300 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need Advice - Thermostat/Timer/Thermometer/Humidity Gauge

Okay guys,

I was thinking I would not be able to afford a thermostat for my new BP for a while, but am stumbling into a bit of money and want to make the best, most educated purchase that I can.

So tell me if what I'm looking for is possible.

I have three heat sources I would like to plug into it. One UTH, a day time lamp and a night (infrared) lamp to provide a light cycle (since the room he is in is DARK) and additional heat (my house is FREEZING at all times). I would also like this device to be a timer to automatically switch on and off my lamps...and I presume that this potential device will have a digital thermometer display with two probes...but I don't suppose they come with humidity gauges? But I could purchase an inexpensive one separately that is digital...

So please...tell me what to buy!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Need Advice - Thermostat/Timer/Thermometer/Humidity Gauge

You could just buy a couple of regular old timers from the home depot for the lamps. One for the day time, one for the night time.

As for a thermostat, I would recommend getting a ranco or johnsons control. They are about $70 but they are well worth the money. You can plug up to 6 heat sources into these but the catch is, you can only set them to one temp. If you want to set your lights to a different temp than your thermostats, you can get some light dimmers and plug the lights into those and then into the thermostat, allowing you to dial down the temp of the lights.

Make sense? lol
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    You could just buy a couple of regular old timers from the home depot for the lamps. One for the day time, one for the night time.

As for a thermostat, I would recommend getting a ranco or johnsons control. They are about $70 but they are well worth the money. You can plug up to 6 heat sources into these but the catch is, you can only set them to one temp. If you want to set your lights to a different temp than your thermostats, you can get some light dimmers and plug the lights into those and then into the thermostat, allowing you to dial down the temp of the lights.

Make sense? lol
    OMG my head is going to explode!

Okay, well...I'm going to ask what you think...

Let me give you an idea what I'll need...I'm going to be gone to an out of town internship for 12-16 hours per day 5 days per week at the end of August....So...What is going to be my best bet for temp maintenance with little daytime intervention?

My cool end gets COLD...so I'm either going to need to keep a night lamp on it at all times, or I'll need a secondary heat pad on that end...but then I would need two thermostats to regulate each side correct? And I remember reading about some thermostats that auto drop temp for night time???

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Another option would be instead of light bulbs, a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) for the cool side. You can still plug this into a dimmer and then into the thermostat that controls the hot side. In this case, you don't need two thermostats. You don't need a night-time drop.

For measuring temps, I highly recommend an accurite weatherstation. This unit will measure, humidity, hot side temp (with a probe) and the ambient cool side temp. You can find these at wal-mart, lowes, or the home depot. You might have to do some digging to find one.
    ~Steffe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

bella (06-05-2009)

Thanks

Another option would be instead of light bulbs, a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) for the cool side. You can still plug this into a dimmer and then into the thermostat that controls the hot side. In this case, you don't need two thermostats. You don't need a night-time drop.

For measuring temps, I highly recommend an accurite weatherstation. This unit will measure, humidity, hot side temp (with a probe) and the ambient cool side temp. You can find these at wal-mart, lowes, or the home depot. You might have to do some digging to find one.
    Okay, well...I'm heading out to find some more supplies for tomorrow's feeding expo so I'll try and find one!

I could go look at the boxes in my basement, but do you happen to know if I can use a Ceramic Heat Emitter in my basic lamp reflector dome? Or do I need to use a different metal dome?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

And by doing this little number, you can measure warm and cool hides.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrshawt For This Useful Post:

bella (06-05-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    Okay, well...I'm heading out to find some more supplies for tomorrow's feeding expo so I'll try and find one!

I could go look at the boxes in my basement, but do you happen to know if I can use a Ceramic Heat Emitter in my basic lamp reflector dome? Or do I need to use a different metal dome?
    The CHE's require that you have a ceramic socket on the lamp. Most reptile domes have this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrshawt View Post
    And by doing this little number, you can measure warm and cool hides.
    Seriously, can I hire you as my personal herp tech?

I should see if my dad could do that, he is an electrician and an engineer after all...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrshawt View Post
    The CHE's require that you have a ceramic socket on the lamp. Most reptile domes have this.
    Indeed, mine do!

Do you have a preference for CHE or lights?

I like the light for the day/night cycle since my house is a cave, but I wonder if one is considered better?

Thanks

Okay, if I were to purchase something from say Reptile Basics, what would you recommend?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/Thermostats-p-1-c-250.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast