Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,054

1 members and 2,053 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cross Country Move?

Near the end of this year I am to be moving to Charleston, South Carolina, I will be attending school to become a Nuclear Engineer for the Navy. I am wondering what anyone else has done to move their collection cross country.....

Currently I have 11 BPs and they are in a rack, but the only thing I can think of is pay a local reptile shop to house them for me until I can get everything set-up then ship them to me.

I've also thought of selling off the normals and just shipping the morphs, to cut down on issues, and costs.

Any thoughts or possibly any ideas out there that anyone else has?
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cross Country Move?

Being a Coast Guard family, we'll have to move next year, and chances are it will be a far move. At least out of state... (but we'll be back when he retires later, we own this house and we're not selling it). Anyway, I have a large van, and I figure I will be packing all the tanks into the van, along with the dog and the baby, and driving to where-ever we're moving. It should be interesting, to say the least! LOL I figure I will use my van if we ever start doing reptile shows, too.

Thanks

Not too sure how a van move would work for you let alone me. How will they get their heat during the hours you are driving?

I will have to transport these guys/girls a 3 - 4 day trip. Not possible with out risking their safety.

Total trip is 2904 miles.
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Thanks

Well, we'd be moving in summer, so the biggest issue would be the reverse- we wouldn't be able to stop the car/turn the air conditioning off at all during daylight hours... ughhhh, but I have dealt with it before. I think they'd be okay for a couple of days in 70s-80s temps... they have to deal with that if shipped, too.

Thanks

Except when they are shipped they are in an insulated box with a 'hand warmer' that stays at around 90 degrees. And not all of the country is 70 - 80 degrees especially at night. And driving with the A/C on would put temps in the low 70's high 60's which IMO is not very cautious.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo Serpent For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (06-04-2009)

Thanks

It will be tricky for sure. I think if I was going somewhere cold, I would pack them same as you would for shipping, maybe. You give me many things to think about! My DH has moved many times with his eight year old BP with no ill effects, and he just pretty much put the tank in the back seat and off he went. We'll definitely have to come to some kind of good solution- the dog, the baby, and me need it cool- the snakes need it hot... now, I do have rear and front AC in my van. I may try driving around with the rear AC off and see what kind of temps are maintained back there.

Thanks

Hey guys I was reading the thread, and I just thought of this, but maybe you can buy an ac outlet for your car, connect your thermostat and heating pads that way....you may also need to buy an extension, depending where your going to place the snake say if they were in the trunks...

i found this online and for under 50.00, which i think you guys would have no problems with...

here's the site:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/power/...uctname-en-asc

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Serpent View Post
    Near the end of this year I am to be moving to Charleston, South Carolina, I will be attending school to become a Nuclear Engineer for the Navy. I am wondering what anyone else has done to move their collection cross country.....

Currently I have 11 BPs and they are in a rack, but the only thing I can think of is pay a local reptile shop to house them for me until I can get everything set-up then ship them to me.

I've also thought of selling off the normals and just shipping the morphs, to cut down on issues, and costs.

Any thoughts or possibly any ideas out there that anyone else has?
    Woah, my family is planning to move there, too. Weird!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The only moves I've ever done are small.. about 200 miles. I would usually just pack the snakes in smaller tubs (16qts) and put tons of shredded newspaper in there. Then I'd usually put them in the back wrapped in a blanket during a summer move with AC on or in the front seat with the heat indirectly blowing on them. Either way I've never had problems. But for a move that'll take 2-3 days like you said, I think your best bet may be shipping them once you're established. Or you could bring heat tape for your snakes so that once you get to a hotel, you just bring your snakes in and let them have proper heating while you sleep. Then in the morning, pack em up again and do the tub thing I was talking about. Repeat.

For a van, why don't you try hanging a blanket or two vertically (behind you, the baby, the dog) so you can keep AC on in your area, and the snakes shouldn't get too much of it. The snakes can simply be kept in their own 'climate' in the back.

Just a couple thoughts...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Montie Python View Post
    Hey guys I was reading the thread, and I just thought of this, but maybe you can buy an ac outlet for your car, connect your thermostat and heating pads that way....you may also need to buy an extension, depending where your going to place the snake say if they were in the trunks...

i found this online and for under 50.00, which i think you guys would have no problems with...

here's the site:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/power/...uctname-en-asc
    That would definitely work, except i use a rack setup not tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mrshawt View Post
    Woah, my family is planning to move there, too. Weird!
    Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch21 View Post
    The only moves I've ever done are small.. about 200 miles. I would usually just pack the snakes in smaller tubs (16qts) and put tons of shredded newspaper in there. Then I'd usually put them in the back wrapped in a blanket during a summer move with AC on or in the front seat with the heat indirectly blowing on them. Either way I've never had problems. But for a move that'll take 2-3 days like you said, I think your best bet may be shipping them once you're established. Or you could bring heat tape for your snakes so that once you get to a hotel, you just bring your snakes in and let them have proper heating while you sleep. Then in the morning, pack em up again and do the tub thing I was talking about. Repeat.
    I think I would freak a few people in the hotel out bringing in 11 snakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast