Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 852

0 members and 852 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Handling Your Spider

So, this may seem a bit odd, 2 days ago I finally picked up my mojave, spider and a normal female.

I knew all the info about spiders, but never witnessed it in front of me. Took me back a bit. What really took me back was handling her, it was really weird and not sure how to explain it. She definitely has a wobble. I was holding her and she must've been really excited and she started wobbling in my hands to the point where I almost dropped her. Has anyone had any problems or issues related to handling there spider ball pythons? Is this one snake people just prefer not too handle or do you just adjust?

Not sure if it's an odd question to everyone but it's one I thought I could ask here.

Thanks!

Mike

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Handling Your Spider

I think it is an excellent question and I'll be interested to see the replies. I don't have a spider (yet), so I can't really contribute.
    Casey

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kc261 For This Useful Post:

piper (06-02-2009)

Thanks

I've definitely noticed a difference in behavior between my spider and the rest of my collection. He feeds great and does everything normally but there are little quirks you will notice.

Their movements are just slightly different when they're on the ground (upwards tilt to head), but I think you can definitely notice it more when they are being held. I believe something is going on with their orientation when being suspended in the air vs having the belly completely against a flat object.

I've never had my spider wobble so bad that I almost drop him, but I can see how they're just not as suave when it comes to navigating from a suspended in air position.

Aside from the occasional missed strike during feeding time I don't think it affects him much. I never noticed anything dramatic just the slight nuances. All this stuff depends on the severity of the wobble in the animal.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spaniard For This Useful Post:

piper (06-02-2009)

Thanks

I have a male and a female spider and they are totally different! My male wobbles pretty good and my female has no noticeable wobble at all. My male corksrews when being held and seems to always try to go upside down. He is a bit hard to handle sometimes but they settle a little bit after awhile. When my wife holds him he just lays there with her and is fine! It is just something in their genetics and was told it will Never go away but it will be a little less noticeable once they get some more weight to them. Mine was pretty bad when I frist got him but has settled down pretty good within a few weeks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BAD Morphs For This Useful Post:

piper (06-02-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Their movements are just slightly different when they're on the ground (upwards tilt to head), but I think you can definitely notice it more when they are being held. I believe something is going on with their orientation when being suspended in the air vs having the belly completely against a flat object.

I've never had my spider wobble so bad that I almost drop him, but I can see how they're just not as suave when it comes to navigating from a suspended in air position.
    I think that must be it, the direction she takes sometimes is unpredictable. The person I purchased her from did advise me that it does get a bit weird at feeding time.

Thanks

In addition to what Blong said, wobbles can get either better or worst with age. There is nothing to say that all spiders with wobbles will have reduced symptoms with age or weight. Some animals go from having a slight wobble to much more dramatic issues in adulthood. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spaniard For This Useful Post:

piper (06-02-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLong7211 View Post
    I have a male and a female spider and they are totally different! My male wobbles pretty good and my female has no noticeable wobble at all. My male corksrews when being held and seems to always try to go upside down. He is a bit hard to handle sometimes but they settle a little bit after awhile. When my wife holds him he just lays there with her and is fine! It is just something in their genetics and was told it will Never go away but it will be a little less noticeable once they get some more weight to them. Mine was pretty bad when I frist got him but has settled down pretty good within a few weeks.
    Yea, I think it might be the case for mine as well. She didn't even go in her hide for about 24 hrs after bringing her home. The other 2 snakes went right away but she was out and about wondering around, corkscrewing but now she has since went in her hide.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piper View Post
    Yea, I think it might be the case for mine as well. She didn't even go in her hide for about 24 hrs after bringing her home. The other 2 snakes went right away but she was out and about wondering around, corkscrewing but now she has since went in her hide.
    Yeah mine is alot better after having him a few weeks but still the corkscrewing when held but not nything like before at all. But during the first feed he was so bad that I thought he was dying the way he was flipping around and swallowing from his back. Here is the video I took when he first fed for me. But let me say he did NONE not one bit of any of this the second feed!

http://s711.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=001-2.flv

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BAD Morphs For This Useful Post:

piper (06-02-2009)

Thanks

Ive seen spiders corkscrew in their cages (this was from a re-saler, not a breeder). I have seen spiders that don't seem to have any issues, but if you look closely, they have a head tilt kinda like a dog when you talk to it.

I have a female spider arriving thursday morning to me, so i can post back with info on her once i get her.

I'm of the belief that ALL spiders have some form of the wobbles. Everything from just a head tilt or shake to ridiculous cage style acrobatics.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

piper (06-02-2009)

Thanks

The wobble in my spider is way less when being held.He ball,s up and has very little or no wobble at all.
    Mike.

1.2 normal
    1.1 spider
    0.1 Pinstripe
    2.0 pastel
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Butter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast