Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,189

2 members and 3,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: New cat owner

Thanks

Question New cat owner

I’m looking into cats and wondering some things.First what kind of shots do cats need and how much are they usually?What kind of shots do kittens need?Or if I get a cat from a shelter what shots do I need to have it get?I’ve never had a cat before so I haven’t a clue.

P.s What is best for a first time cat owner- cat or kitten?

Thank-you!

Brooke
    Bvz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: New cat owner

Your best bet is to contact a local vet, they will know for sure, especially since local governments have laws and regulations about vaccinations.

Thanks

Rabies vaccines are required by law in some states. (my state requires by 16 weeks)

Distemper combo vaccines are always recommended (sometimes called PPRC or FVRCP), usually starting around 6-8 weeks of age, and takes several shots to get full immunity as a kitten.

Feline Leukemia vaccines are reccomended if your kitty will be going outside.

when getting a kitten or a cat from a shelter, always ask if they have been tested for FeLV and FIV. If they have not been tested, then it is something that you should have done at your first visit with the vet.

all kitten shots are good for 1 year (after the initial series is complete). Some states and vets will do a 3 year vaccine on the rabies and distemper, respectively.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Conundrum For This Useful Post:

Animalmaster13 (06-01-2009)

Thanks

i agree with the going to vet part- they will know what the cat will need.

As for cat or kitten- go to the shelter... if you have an idea of what you want then great, if not...look at the cats there- we went to the shelter looking for a black male kitten and came out with a tabby female...she was too adorable and is perfect for us.

if you have more then one shelter around you visit them all...or untill you find yur kitty

good luck!
    Lena

9.15 ball pythons
    1.1 boas Tarzan, Ziva
    0.2 cats
    1 Fab Rat terrier- Roxy

1 G. Pulchra- Phoebe
    1. A. Avic- Sheiba
    1 B. Smithi
    1 Chaco Golden Knee

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LaFilleClochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Adult cats are much much easier for first time kitty owners. Kittens, although cute, can be a pain! They don't sleep at night, they just want to play play play. They need more vaccines, thus being more expensive. With an adult cat, usually all the vaccines are done at time of adoption (if adopting from a shelter or cat rescue) while kittens adopted from shelters will need more vaccines if adopted under 4 months of age. I adopted one of my cats last year, he was a 2 month old kitten from a shelter. His adoption fee was $70, he came neutered, FIV tested and only the feline distemper vaccine. I spent another $400 on the rest of his vaccines, dewormings, microchip (why on earth a shelter would not microchip any animal it adopts out makes NO sense to me,) etc. I could have gotten a full grown (or young adult) cat for the same price, but he/she would have had all the vaccines required.

Now, if you have dogs or kids in the home, perhaps an older kitten would be best, that way it can grow up with them. Check out petfinder.com for a local cat rescue, and see if they have a kitty that matches your family. Good luck!

0.1 Piebald "Piper" - 0.1 Lesser "Reese" - 0.1 Spider "Arana" - 0.1 Pinstripe "Inyo"
    0.1 VPI Axanthic "Nami" - 0.1 Black Pastel w/Ringer "Lina" - 0.1 Pastel "Gembi"
    0.1 Normal "Malia" - 1.0 Pastel Het Piebald "Karamu" - 1.0 Enchi "Lada" - 1.0 Pewter "Stone"

OTHER SNAKES...
    0.1 Rosy Boa "Loki" - 1.0 Albino Boa "One Eyed Willie" - 1.0 Albino Boa "Mateo"
    0.1 Orange Sunglow Boa "Caliente" (or just "Cali") - 1.0 Amelanistic Cornsnake "Sunny Tequila"

OTHER HERPS...
    0.2 Leopard Geckos "Keeta & Multan" - 0.2 Crested Geckos "Rexy & Alpha"
    Redfoot Tortoise "LT" - 0.0.1 Strawberry Pineapple Pacman Frog "Polo"

OTHER NON-HERPS...
    0.1 American Bulldog "Maui - 0.1 Shiba Inu "Mako" - 1.0 White Cat "Lucaya"
    0.1 Albino Skunk "Lakota" - 1.0 Hedgehog "Herbie" - 0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula "Harriet"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarFox03 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you'd like a purebred, check with breeders to see if they have any available retired breeders or show animals. Often they're already spayed or neutered, and have shots current. I got my ragdoll boy that way, and he was totally free.
    `*`

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post: