Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

0 members and 2,945 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

International transport/shipping

I live in Japan and would like to bring some cb ball pythons and brazialian rainbow boas back with me from my visit to the US next month. These will be for my own collection and maybe a few for resale.

My question is how do I do it legally? I know I need a CITES permit but how do I obtain one? I heard there is a long wait but I will only be in the states for a couple weeks. Any one have experience with transporting snakes internationally?? Do the airlines let you bring them as a carry on? or ?? any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks, Jesse

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: International transport/shipping

You will not be able to carry any animals on any international flights without being charged with smuggling.

As for CITES, you would have to check with an importer/exporter. I don't know the answer to that.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Ok yea thanks, i just found the same info online, it looks like animals other then dogs/cats must be checked in to the cargo area. im sure there are extra fees too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

It might however be possible for you to arrange to have them shipped by someone with experience of it.

So that you can go around and personally see the snakes you want and have them delivered to one of the big boys in the trade for them to ship out once the cites paperwork was complete at both ends.

I was told it can take up to six months to get it though.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

That might be your best option. Try to find an expo being held in the area you are visiting, and see if any of the sellers have experience shipping internationally.

Alternatively, here in Canada a lot of the ball python breeders can get CITES paperwork in as little as 48 hours. You might want to check with them.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

CITES can now be be pulled by a few breeders in the matter of just 48 hours. If your interested in further details, let me know and I can see what I can do to help you. I've never exported to Japan myself and I'm unsure what is needed on your end for an import permit, but can find out for you. My email is info@gollireptiles.com Let me know what your looking for and I can get together the costs and time associated.
    Support my efforts to raise awareness and donations to the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my Grandfather Eugene......
    www.awalktoendalzheimers.com

"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session." - Benjamin Franklin