Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,676

0 members and 2,676 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Dimmer switch? plus a few other rack questions

I am about to start construction on my snake rack and I need to get several dimmer switches for my heating tape. I just called home depot and they only seem to carry in wall dimmer switches.

I am currently using this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752611

I know it is over priced and I plan on exchanging it, and I've heard people here talk about getting dimmer switches from places like home depot for like $10. Can anyone link the exact item they have used or seen used? I plan on getting a real proportional thermostat in the future but until then I need to use a cheaper option.

Also, what type of screws should I be using for melamine? And any specific type of casters for a 4ft tall melamine rack?

*edit*
    I think I found what I am looking for: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-WH&lpage=none

That look right? Can I hook up say two heat tapes to an extension cord and plug it in to that (assuming I don't go over wattage) or would I need one for each heat strip?

thanks again, this forum is beyond useful
    Last edited by euphuistical; 05-24-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: I found it!
    6.21 ball pythons
    0.1 Suriname BCC, Florida Redtail line
    Lots of ASFs

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Dimmer switch? plus a few other rack questions

I know it is over priced and I plan on exchanging it, and I've heard people here talk about getting dimmer switches from places like home depot for like $10. Can anyone link the exact item they have used or seen used? I plan on getting a real proportional thermostat in the future but until then I need to use a cheaper option.
    You can found dimmer switch from lowes http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-WH&lpage=none however if your room temps is un-stable it will allow fluctuation.

If you are in the process of getting serious with this hobby and build a rack it will be a VERY good idea to invest in a reliable thermostat.

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/products/herpstat.html

http://www.reptilebasics.com/Thermostats-p-1-c-250.html

Also, what type of screws should I be using for melamine? And any specific type of casters for a 4ft tall melamine rack?
    I use drywall screws, work perfectly, and remember a pilot holes are always a good idea.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

My room temp is stable, and they will be in my closet to decrease the chance of any large change.

I am getting serious, but I am also seriously broke hehe. Given where I live (Florida) I think my room temps will make a dimmer switch sufficient for the time being. I will of course get a high quality thermostat, probably this one, since it has a night time drop built in for cheaper than the Helix + night drop cord. But of course there may be be another good one, or I may need a higher wattage or something when the time comes, so I am still up on the air on those.
    6.21 ball pythons
    0.1 Suriname BCC, Florida Redtail line
    Lots of ASFs

Thanks

i live in FL and my room temps are no where near stable. as for the thermostat, not sure which one you were showing but helix or herpstat are the only way to go.

Thanks

cheat trick ( currently using ) I got the johnson thermostat controls ( talk to any heating/ac peple, and or a elelctrical buddy) they can get them though their work if your lucky and only spend about 60-67 bucks instead of the 110 they charge if you walk in off the street. I wired mine up with an 3 prong 12 guage ext cord ( 15 foot one) and then plugged in a power strip into the end to hook up 6 shelves at once. it works great and the temps are stable.. I think I spent ( outside the flexwatt half) less than 74 bucks per unit and they work like a charm. no more fried snakes, I don't like the dimmer they seem to either short out or fail weird on me.. I have had 2 that failed and were either wide open or off. I came close 3 time to loosing my collection to the dimmer controls. and as said they only restrict the flow bt they won't turn off at a set tempaso if theroom get warm in the afternoon ( from sun setting on it ) you can cook or soft boil the poor snakes.

I watch my room go from 82 degrees ( about set temp ) to almost 98 just from the sun shinning on that side. the dimmer control during that time went from a comfortable 88 to almost 105 and was still climbing when i pulled the plug to it.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)