Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,998

1 members and 2,997 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Regurge? Help, please!!!!

I got home today and noticed some feces next to one of my BP's hides. But the enclosure smelled so awful, I thought there might be some more in the hide. So, I lift the hide and there is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen or smelled. A long-dead mouse. I fed her a live mouse on Wednesday and she took it quickly and pulled it into her hide to eat, as usual.

So, I'm wondering, did she spit it up or did she regurge? How can I tell? There was a dried "puddle" of dark fluid under the mouse (stomach acid???).

Please, please help! I'm incredibly worried! (And feeling very guilty.)

Warm side temp- 88-93
    Cool side temp- 75-83
    Humidity- 50-60%
    She's currently in a plastic tub with holes, has 2 hides, newspaper substrate, clean water dish.
    Used to eat live small rats, but since she came out of her winter fast, she's only been taking live mice.
    Has spit out a small rat a long time ago (something scared her and she decided not to finish it), never regurged before.

Background:
    A few months back she was treated for an RI. A few weeks ago I find out that she has pinworms, too. (Probably has had them for a while, the loser I am never had a fecal done until now.) She's on Panacur weekly, but I have been having some issues giving it to her. Last week I also noticed a small amount of mucous in her gums. RI coming back, maybe?

Anyhow, vet appointment scheduled for next week (my vet doesn't work weekends) to figure everything out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Regurge? Help, please!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Herps View Post
    I got home today and noticed some feces next to one of my BP's hides. But the enclosure smelled so awful, I thought there might be some more in the hide. So, I lift the hide and there is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen or smelled. A long-dead mouse. I fed her a live mouse on Wednesday and she took it quickly and pulled it into her hide to eat, as usual.

So, I'm wondering, did she spit it up or did she regurge? How can I tell? There was a dried "puddle" of dark fluid under the mouse (stomach acid???).

Please, please help! I'm incredibly worried! (And feeling very guilty.)

Warm side temp- 88-93
    Cool side temp- 75-83
    Humidity- 50-60%
    She's currently in a plastic tub with holes, has 2 hides, newspaper substrate, clean water dish.
    Used to eat live small rats, but since she came out of her winter fast, she's only been taking live mice.
    Has spit out a small rat a long time ago (something scared her and she decided not to finish it), never regurged before.

Background:
    A few months back she was treated for an RI. A few weeks ago I find out that she has pinworms, too. (Probably has had them for a while, the loser I am never had a fecal done until now.) She's on Panacur weekly, but I have been having some issues giving it to her. Last week I also noticed a small amount of mucous in her gums. RI coming back, maybe?

Anyhow, vet appointment scheduled for next week (my vet doesn't work weekends) to figure everything out.
    If that was the mouse you fed her two days ago and you are sure she ingested it - then it's most likely vomit not a regurge. However, if she didn't ingest it, it could be just a decomposed mouse, leaking fluids.......

So to recap, if you know the mouse was ingested or you can visibly see that it was partially digested - that's vomit.

A regurge is an entirely different event that happens in a relatively short period of time after feeding. If she just pulled it in and did not consume it, it may just be decomposing - same if she swallowed it then regurgitated it a short time later.

But if you are sure it was ingested or it looks partially digested, the fact that it's two days after you fed her and the prey item is digested is indicative of it being vomit.

You're going to get a flood of advice. I would patiently read it and in the meantime bag and refrigerate what you can (feces and vomit) and get her back to the Vet.

With her history of internal parasites and her other potential health issues, I would be concerned about a systemic cause for her vomiting.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Couple of options here since it all happen under the hide

1# Killed but not eaten and after 2 days a decomsing mouse would smell pretty bad

2# Killed, partially swallowed and spitted out

3# Regurgitation

If it is a regurgitation the mouse would appear partially digested.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I hate that smell. Our lavendar albino retic regurged a 6 pound rabbit one time and it was just horrible. I had to take the cage out side and bleach it to get the smell out of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    I hate that smell. Our lavendar albino retic regurged a 6 pound rabbit one time and it was just horrible. I had to take the cage out side and bleach it to get the smell out of it.
    Yeah, I did the same thing. I grabbed Cu and put her in her cage-cleaning bin, and took the whole thing outside to bleach. But my room still smells.

If it is a regurgitation the mouse would appear partially digested.
    Does anybody have any pics, by any chance? It looked a bit like a frozen mouse, but it could have been partially digested.

Thanks

if it was a frozen mouse are u sure u heated it properly because it might have been hot on the outside but the inside core might have been cold causing him to puke the mouse up

Thanks

I'm glad the snake's heading back into the vet. You may need to redo the fecal to see where you are at as far as the internal parasite issues. Since it may be impossible to tell at this point whether it was a regurge or a spit out, I'd err on the side of caution and treat it as a regurge as far as future feeding plans. If you aren't well versed on feeding routines after a regurge, feel free to ask or do a search on the forum for threads on this subject.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

It was a live mouse.

I'm taking her in to the vet this week, so I won't be feeding her until after the appointment and getting the vet's advice.

Thanks, everybody!

Thanks

i really have no advice to offer here, but i just wanted to extend my best wishes and good luck at the vet! i hope everything turns out alright for you guys.
    -- alex
    0.2 Normal BP
    1.1 Pastel BP
    0.2 Pound Puppies

Thanks

Thanks!