Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

0 members and 2,921 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Temp reads hot but feels cold.

I was checking the hot side of my tank and the temp says its around 94, but it feels cold. Is there a way to trap heat on the bottom of the tank? I have 2 UTH's and 1 heat lamp to (try to) maintain ambient air temps. I also use insulation on the outside of my tank, but the stuff I have it sticking to is velcro and I don't think thats good enough since its not pressed tightly against the sides of the tank and air still moves in the cracks.

Thanks

Re: Temp reads hot but feels cold.

Remember, you and I are fairly warm bodied creatures. If you are still unsure of the temps, get either a new thermometer with a probe, or a infrared temp gun.

Thanks

Re: Temp reads hot but feels cold.

Q:"If normal body temp is 98.6?
    Does that mean if you touch something and it feels warm, that it is hotter than that?"

A:"No, it just means it's hotter than the outer surface of your skin, which is closer to the temperature of your surroundings. If you put your hands in ice water and then put them under cold tap water,the tap water feels warm."

Q:"If the average body temp. is 98.6 degrees, then why does it seem so hot when it's only around 75 or so?"

A:"The human body produces heat, but it's like a machine--it can't overheat, or it will lose function. Therefore, the body must constantly lose heat for it to stay at an equilibrium--this is why at temperatures less than 98.6, it still feels quite hot. Additionally, humidity and the sun is involved--your clothes trap in some heat, and humidity makes you sweat. While you are indoors, your sweat doesn't evaporate--so you're wet and hot."

I found these on Yahoo Answers.

They are the best answers I could find when researching a while back about our body temperatures and the feel of hot and cold.