Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

0 members and 2,801 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: The Accurite Therm/Hydgro Mod

I agree, with above. You should sell them with like $5 markup. Your Design and expertise is worth that!!

Pete

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Great job on explaining it but could you post a pic or 2 with what you did to the googly eyes. I have a pretty good idea...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    WOW that is a GORGEOUS setup
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to h00blah For This Useful Post:

BeastMaster (01-31-2010)

Thanks

Great thread, thanks for posting this.

I did the mod to 1 of my Accurites last night. The temperature sensors are tracking really well to the un-modified Accurite but the humidity is off (low) by about 10% right now and was tracking high last night.

Anyone else who did the mod have the same problems? I haven't "protected" the modified Accurite's humidity sensor yet so is it just a function of "contained" versus "open"? I did touch the surface of the sensor when doing the project. Would that have caused inherent problems? Do I now need to clean the sensor?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks

I just don't understand why you need to disconnect the out wire just to reconnect it again!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by seeya205 View Post
    I just don't understand why you need to disconnect the out wire just to reconnect it again!
    It's because he is using the original probe wire cut into three sections - removing it and cutting from the soldered end lets you put each original component back in the same place in regards to the circuit.

Probably not a big deal all in all but it's neater.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

It does make it neater if you use that wire for all three components. It was relatively easy to do even for a amateur like me. I'm still wondering if anyone else out there had the same troubles with the humidity sensor not being calibrated after this mod. My sensor is reading between 20-25% lower than an unmodified unit.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

I actually had a problem un-soldering the IN sensor. I ended up having to purchase another unit because it seems that the sensor broke off, and came apart. It was almost like the sensor was not just soldered on...but yet the wires actually went down in the unit itself. I was just checking to see if there was anyone else that had this particular problem, or was it a result of my poor handy skills....which are not bad btw.

Thanks for any advice. I'm just kinda skeptical of trying it again now lol.

Thanks

Thanks for this awesome DIY.

I tried this today, having never really soldered before, and while I get readings on my Accurite, they're definitely not accurate. One temp reads around 42F, and I know it's at least 68F in the house right now. The other reads just "HI . F". Both sensors are sitting right next to each other. The humidity is probably right, but my guess is I killed the circuits for the temps when I was trying to de-solder the existing connections. It just took too long and I think I must have applied too much heat. Should I be trying to suck out the old solder with a solder bulb, or just heat it up and pull the connection off?

Now that I've done one, the next will probably be easier and may actually work, but I think one will be the practice mod...
    My little collection is growing:

Ball Pythons: 1.0 Lesser, 1.0 Pinstripe, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal
    1.0 Dumerils Boa (Boa dumerili)
    1.1 Centralian Pythons (Morelia spilota bredli)
    1.1.4 Crested Gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)

Thanks

OK, first, if you touch the hygro, it needs to be cleaned with alcohol (no, not beer ) and if your readings are off, it's because you probably had a low wattage (low wattage does not mean cheap) soldering iron and cooked something.

Most circuit soldering is done with higher wattage's because you have very little surface touch time. This means that after a second or so, the heat will start to do microscopic damage to the circuits and the sensors. Radio Shack sells an item that is made off aluminum and looks like a little clothes pin. It is called a heat sync and will prevent the heat from reaching the sensor. I did not have this item at my disposal when I undertook this project though. But if you have not done a lot of soldering, it may help a little bit. They also have the second pair of hands you always wish you had when doing wierd projects. It's the goofy looking cloths pin clamp and magnifying glass thingy they have in the soldering section for $20.

I would like to see some pics of the ones you guys have done. Maybe I will learn something new to do with my next one.......
    1.0 Spider Ball Python (Roscoe)
    1.0 Cali-King (Prince Albert )

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast