Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

4 members and 2,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

ANything on AB1122 yet?

I know it went to the committee today but was wondering if anyone else has heard anything as of yet.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: ANything on AB1122 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sg1trogdor View Post
    I know it went to the committee today but was wondering if anyone else has heard anything as of yet.
    Here's the newest amended version:

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/bill...d_asm_v96.html

Thanks

So what exactly do they mean by "swap meet"? And why is it changed so that it's okay to sell animals at flea markets, but not at "outdoor special sales" whatever that means?

What a strangely written bill...

Thanks

From TotalCapitol - notes on the May 6th hearing:

3)Opposition . In opposition to the bill, the California Swap Meet Owners Association notes that the swap meet owners have continually argued to be treated as other retail entities would. Therefore, the Legislature should create a set of standards so that they can be given the opportunity to sell these animals in a safe and healthy environment. They argue that it is unfair to simply impose a blanket prohibition.

Wait - USARK's blog claimed that the Reptile Nation blocked this? It appears that the mighty CSMOA beat back the tide on this one.

Further updates:

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 05/26/2009
    LAST HIST. ACTION : Read second time. To third reading.
    FILE : ASM THIRD READING
    FILE DATE : 05/27/2009
    ITEM : 117

COMM. LOCATION : ASM APPROPRIATIONS
    COMM. ACTION DATE : 05/20/2009
    COMM. ACTION : Do pass.
    COMM. VOTE SUMMARY : Ayes: 11 Noes: 02 PASS

Summary - at the request of the California Swap Meet Owners Association, the bill was amended to remove the flea market and swap meet verbiage.

The bill passed appropriations by an 11-2 vote. It has had it's second reading and is now on to it's third reading - which is the final reading before the House of Origin. This is the proposed final draft folks - from here it gets sent to the second house, where if it passes - will be sent to the governor for signing.

The process can be studied here:

http://www.dof.ca.gov/fisa/bag/legprcess.htm

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Maybe I just don't go to the right (wrong?) places or see the right things, but I just don't get this bill. How is it helping animals?

Well, it mentions carnivals, so I guess it would eliminate baby iguanas being given as carnival prizes. That is already illegal in many places, so I'm not even sure it would be a change from current law in CA.

But mostly it seems to me that what it would end is private citizens who re-home animals through craigslist or whatever other means no longer being able to meet at neutral locations such as the local Walmart, in order to avoid having a stranger come to their house.

Also, around here, it is a common practice for rescue groups to have adoption days at the local petco and petsmart. Since these are often set up in the parking or on the sidewalk in front of the store when the weather is nice, that would become illegal too.

I wish I could do something to fight it, but I doubt the CA legislature will listen to someone who lives in VA.
    Casey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    Maybe I just don't go to the right (wrong?) places or see the right things, but I just don't get this bill. How is it helping animals?

Well, it mentions carnivals, so I guess it would eliminate baby iguanas being given as carnival prizes. That is already illegal in many places, so I'm not even sure it would be a change from current law in CA.

But mostly it seems to me that what it would end is private citizens who re-home animals through craigslist or whatever other means no longer being able to meet at neutral locations such as the local Walmart, in order to avoid having a stranger come to their house.

Also, around here, it is a common practice for rescue groups to have adoption days at the local petco and petsmart. Since these are often set up in the parking or on the sidewalk in front of the store when the weather is nice, that would become illegal too.

I wish I could do something to fight it, but I doubt the CA legislature will listen to someone who lives in VA.
    Depends on who you talk to:

Some people claim that this bill is a baby step aimed at outlawing all pet sales in the state.

Others claim that it's aimed at the puppy mill trade from over the border. (There are issues in some communities with puppies being smuggled over the Mexican border and sold on street corners.)

Some opine it's an effort to stomp coral frag swaps out of existence.

Others argue that it's aimed at dog and cat shows.

The feathered lobby thinks it's aimed at them.

Some fret that it's an attempt to regulated flea markets and swap meets.

As with any issue, it's best to read the history, the impetus behind the proposed legislation and come to your own conclusion.

Thanks

http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill...asm_floor.html

Update - overwhelming support for the Bill after the 3rd reading (52 - 19).