Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,449

0 members and 1,449 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTH Question..

Thanks

UTH Question..

So I just switched my 20 Gallon Long UTH from a 10-20 Gallon to a 30-40 Gallon. It looks like it'll do a lot better in terms of heating up the terrarium.

But I have a concern. I use aluminum tape to secure the UTH to the tank (so I can always reuse the UTH if I need to) While I was placing my thermometer probe on the glass, I noticed the UTH bowes out a little in the middle, it is not on the glass. So there is a little gap between the middle of the UTH and the bottom of the tank. I tried using a piece of tape in the middle but that didn't do anything. Will this cause any damage or heat the enclosure any differently? Shoud I place my thermometer probe in a different position? If so, where should I place it?

Thanks.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

Thanks

Re: UTH Question..

I just tested it and the 'air pocket' started to fog up. I definitely don't want condensation in there. What can I do about this? I really don't want to stick the whole thing on there.

Has anyone else had this problem before?
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I don't use them anymore but when I did I never stuck them to the glass. They will distort over time if not stuck down. They still seem to work ok but I did have one short out on me once and burn up. Make sure you have it on a thermostat. I know things can add up pretty quickly, but flexwatt is really the way to go here for a no hassle set up.

Thanks

What should I do about the air pocket though? Flexwatt is not an option for me right now.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it. The important thing is your readings. What are you getting for warm side, cool side, and ambient?

Thanks

I don't have my BP right now so I am not worrying about my readings at the moment.

I am worrying about the condensation between the UTH and the glass, wouldn't that, over time, cause my tank to crack? I just don't like how it was fogging up and don't think I should use it like that. I am asking for help on how to fix the gap without having to use the UTH's sticky side.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarin View Post
    I don't have my BP right now so I am not worrying about my readings at the moment.

I am worrying about the condensation between the UTH and the glass, wouldn't that, over time, cause my tank to crack? I just don't like how it was fogging up and don't think I should use it like that. I am asking for help on how to fix the gap without having to use the UTH's sticky side.
    Same thing happened to me five minutes ago, so I gave in and just used the adhesive on the pad.

Thanks

Cut a section of a metal coat hanger and run it across the UTH long ways then tape over it.

Thanks

Also due to the fact that it wasn't sticking to the aquarium properly, it wasn't transfering heat right, my thermostat shut off and the thermometer only read 82.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sarin, You are putting the cart before the horse here. The condensation will evaporate. The "air pocket" could actually be a good thing for you. I have seen many tanks crack because of a uth that was stuck right to the bottom. I really can't answer any more questions for you until you set up the tank and take readings. I don't know how else to stress this upon you. Nothing else matters but these readings, and you better get them nailed down BEFORE you get your snake or you will have to do it at your snakes expense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast