Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,008

5 members and 3,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

i just got my first ball python

after spending much time researching ball pythons i decided that i would get one. but before that i got these items

Used 20 gallon aquarium
    2 heat pads
    heat lamp and 75 W bulb
    a humidity gauge and thermometer
    some of the green liner stuff for the floor
    and a small to medium sized dog bowl for water
    and a Tupperware with a hole for a hide box

is there anything else that you guys recommend getting ?

okay well the main reason that i am writing this is because my first time handling my ball python he struck at me... i waited about 24 hours to handle him like they said. do you guys know of any reason why he would have done this ? was it maybe because i was nervous to hold him ?

also he just sits underneath the heat lamp most of the day even though he had a hide with a heat pad next to it. Ive seen him in the hide for a while but i had to get one that is a little bigger because he wouldn't fit in the regular bowl i had for him before.

anyways i would appreciate any advice you can give me.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: i just got my first ball python

first you need to get control of the heat mats.if you have no thermostat or dimmer they run 130 degrees.second,are you keeping the light on all night?

Thanks

well i got a thermometer and the reason i got the two heat mats is because my temps where low and having two of them made it about right for night and day at least i think about 75-77 at night and about 88-91 during the daytime. and i forgot to say i have a timer for the light just a cheep one from wal mart but it works good so far.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

its because your not using temp probes on the surface of the heat mat.i see the dial therm on the back.that only measures the temp of the glass 8 inches above your mats.you are prolly cooking your snake.i dont mean to sound harsh,im sorry if i come off that way.

put your hand on the carpet over the mat,is it hot?super hot?warm?luke warm?

Thanks

well he always sits on top of the heat pad witch is right under the light too and also i have a piece of Plexiglas in between the bottom piece of glass and the green Matt because the bottom of the tank has a crack in it, and i think that reduces the amount of heat that gets transferd a lot.

but do you think i should unplug one of the mats and see what it does for a while? also its only 37 degrees where i live atm and the inside of my house is cold too.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

did you feel the carpet? how does it feel? this is important.

Thanks

i just did and it feels slightly warmer than room temp on top of the heat pad, but he got fairly agitated when i put my hand in there again.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

if thats the case the temp is too low.you really need to get 2 accurite thermometers with probes to put on the surface of the mats.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to butters! For This Useful Post:

brandon82490 (05-17-2009)

Thanks

okay i will try look for some at the local pet stores later on today , thank you

also this is kind of a stupid question... but its not so much that im scared of the snake but i am scared to reach in the cage for him. do you think it would be okay to wear leather gloves when i pic him up ?

and Ive decided that im going to try to have minimal interaction with him for a few days Ive been reading that its better to let him get used to his environment, and i will feed him on Wednesday and let him be for another day or two than start handling him. does that sound like a good idea ?

and thank you for you help soooo much

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

look at walmart.they are 12 bucks. on the glove thing,if you grab the snake with confidence you will have no problem.dont hesitate,dont go fast or slow.just grab it like you would anything else you grab.if you are that nervous and have a extremely low tolerance of pain wear gloves.just make sure there not oily or dirty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast