Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,205

1 members and 1,204 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Photo tips for fast moving snakes?

I see so many pictures of snakes sitting calmly in light tents for pictures... how is this done? Even my ball pythons will not sit still for photos; even if I take them right out of a nap, they will usually wake up fairly quickly and start moving around. (I think they've forgotten that they're 'BALL' pythons and they should ball up for pictures!) I have two colubrids also, and they're obviously even tougher to photograph. Any tips?

Thanks

Re: Photo tips for fast moving snakes?

Having an assistant who is comfortable and knowledgeable with snakes is invaluable. It frees you up to actually take the shots yourself.

Having a proper setup is also good. Proper backgrounds, lighting, camera settings, etc. allow you to snap the pictures very quickly.

Knowing your snake helps as well. I find that a lot of snakes, when bugged and woken up, tend to be go-go-go for a little bit but many settle down well after a little handling. There are always exceptions, of course. So plopping them down right away for a photoshoot may not be the best method.

And the ultimate key... have patience. I haven't done much at all with my snakes but when it comes to my geckos I take a hundred pics to get a dozen good, useable ones. It's just how it goes.
    --Stephan.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a
    koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate,
    I will save it." --Steve Irwin (1962-2006, RIP).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

With any animal photos, the #1 key is be patient, don't rush it, and take LOTS of photos.

I read about a professional pet photographer who would spend literally an entire day with each client's pet to make sure she got the perfect photo.

Banned
    Thanks

Take a bowl, and put it in the refrigerator.... let it get cool, not cold. Take the snake out and put it on the backdrop. Set the bowl over it and let them sit for a few. Have someone pull the bowl off while you get ready to snap your pictures. The snake should sit still long enough to get a good 5-10 shots off.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CeraDigital For This Useful Post:

SeeTheCityLights (08-29-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Luck helps with colubrid no doubts I have a few of them and honestly I think I only have 4 or 5 pictures.

Make sure your setup is ready take your animal out shoot away and hope that maybe a picture or two will turn out good.

Know when you snake as enough when he start moving like crazy is he pretty much done and if you keep trying taking shots all you do is really waste your time.

I found young BP easier to photograph than older ones, I do not have many shots of my adults.

I litterally take hundreds of pictures of the same animal and usually keep on good shot (if I am lucky)

One trick I heard about but I never tried is to use a cool bowl to put on the top of your snake right before the shoot.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I personally use the "curse a lot" method. I find it warms my subject well. A camera that can catch a moving target, and a wide area to photograph in helps too. Sometimes a prop that the animal can hang out on or next to can keep them in one place long enough to get a few shots.
    I also do the 100-1 picture ratio. You take one hundred shots, before you say "This is one &#$%&^$!!!"
    Good luck
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CeraDigital View Post
    Take a bowl, and put it in the refrigerator.... let it get cool, not cold. Take the snake out and put it on the backdrop. Set the bowl over it and let them sit for a few. Have someone pull the bowl off while you get ready to snap your pictures. The snake should sit still long enough to get a good 5-10 shots off.
    I agree. I have used this method many times with colubrids and fast moving lizards and it usually works like a charm. Its also serves to get the animal (especially snakes) into a nice, compact pose so that you can get the entire body in the shot. Here a few pics that would have been impossible for me without the help of a water bowl:

Another thing that I think helps is to bring the animal's cage over to your photo setup and transfer the animal right from its cage to the background, disturbing it as little as possible. I find that the more you handle them prior to setting them down, the more active and problematic they become.

Good luck!

Aaron

Thanks

Whoa! Check out that nose. What is that?
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    Whoa! Check out that nose. What is that?
    Rhino Ratsnake
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Oh. lol. I wouldn't be able to own one because every time I walked by the enclosure I wouldn't be able to pick myself up off the floor.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast