Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

4 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Is this common?

Thanks

Is this common?

Here's my set-up: 19L tub, 2 males, 3 females, igloo hide, wheel, water filter on side of tub, and giant food bowl. I've had 1 female and 1 male since I started it out, added another male, and just recently added 2 more females.

Is it in all common to see 2 males get along with one another? I heard that males or brothers of litters should be separated because they'll fight, but so far the only aggressor out of all of them is the 1st female I got (who is I think pregnant). Otherwise the males get along perfectly with each other!

Is this good for breeding mice to have 2 males in the same tub with all these females?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Is this common?

Males usually don't get along very well. In some instances they will fight to the death.

If yours are really getting along ok, I don't know that it would hurt to keep them together. However, I don't think it helps at all either.
    Casey

Thanks

Well, the might get along but once they really start breeding trouble may start. If they do start to fight keep the one that's winning because he is more likely to be a better breeder from what I've seen. One other thing to keep in mind as well is that males commonly will kill litters that are not theirs, so watch out for that.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Its my understanding that its possible that a female will become infertile if she smells another male or even kill her litter in hopes of having a litter by the one in which she smells. i run a 1.4 breeding project with only 3 setups. 1 breeder one weenier and one prego...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aff19802 View Post
    Its my understanding that its possible that a female will become infertile if she smells another male or even kill her litter in hopes of having a litter by the one in which she smells. i run a 1.4 breeding project with only 3 setups. 1 breeder one weenier and one prego...

most rodents go into heat almost instantly after giving birth. Never seen a situation in rodents (including gerbils) where the female is obsessed with one mate. They may be picky of a few,but out of 100 I am betting they would willingly mate with 90+%

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

True usually under 4 hours. I have always kept it to one male i understand that they can handle pretty much up to 6 females... So i guess i;'ll never find out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aff19802 View Post
    True usually under 4 hours. I have always kept it to one male i understand that they can handle pretty much up to 6 females... So i guess i;'ll never find out.

My male handled around 20+!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    My male handled around 20+!
    That's one happy mouse!
    6.13 Corns, 4.5 Ball Pythons, 1.0 Mex Mex King, 1.1 Mali Uromastyx, 1.1 Red Saharan Uromastyx, 0.1 ETB, 1.0 Boxer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chromeitout View Post
    That's one happy mouse!
    LOL I bet he was! I was very sad when he died, ive never had a mouse more studly. I mean, I picked him as a breeder male because he was breeding when I picked him out, he never stoped!
    - Matt