Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

2 members and 3,237 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Weaning, medium scale

Hello, I have been breeding my own mice for my 50+ snakes for over a year now with great success, but now most of my collection is eating adults. I also have 40+ eggs due to hatch in a few weeks and a couple more pairings left to go. Anyway, I have been using a 24 tub large litter pan rack with about a third being used for weanlings and the others set up with 1.5. I just built another 24 tub rack just like the first one so that I can produce a ton of pinks for the new hatchlings. I have not been mixing tubs of weaners together in the past, but this is where the question comes in. I would like to build a larger holding rack to wean multiple tubs into out of concrete mixing tubs (I already have one for my rats). Has anyone had any luck with doing so or am I asking for fights and deaths? I would ultimately like to pull all weanlings from the 48 tubs once a week on cleaning day and put them into 1 or two large bins to grow on out for a few weeks, thanks.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Weaning, medium scale

Unless you have exceptionally aggressive mice, I would think you would have no problem with this. I put all my weanlings from different colonies together with no issues.

If you leave them for more than a few weeks, the males might start to get aggressive with each other, but I haven't had anything close to a deathly fight in a big group like that. I suppose there are too many different mice to pick on, so no one gets singled out.

The place where I have had an issue is trying to hold back a few males to use as breeders. Some groups seem harmonious and others have issues. That is quite different from what you are talking about though.
    Casey

Thanks

Re: Weaning, medium scale

Just wanted to update... I weaned 100 four days ago into 2 concrete tubs (50 per tub) and all seems well. I could probably get by with a few more per tub. I'll try 75 next week and see how that goes.
    6.13 Corns, 4.5 Ball Pythons, 1.0 Mex Mex King, 1.1 Mali Uromastyx, 1.1 Red Saharan Uromastyx, 0.1 ETB, 1.0 Boxer