Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

1 members and 2,899 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

First attempt at DIY rack. Eight 41qt tub rack.

Well it isn't finished and it isn't really that pretty but it'll sure get the job done. It's 5' high and I resolved to just put shelves on until I ran out of room since I got a bunch of pieces out of the two 4x8 sheets I had cut up. Wound up with more tub shelves than I thought but I'll have room for a bunch of animals at least lol. This will house at least 3 boas within 2 weeks so I need to hurry and finish.

Next up:

Attach the pegboad,do the melamine edging, install the flexwatt, shim the thing so it sits level on a rather uneven basement floor, cover the screws up and punch airholes in the tubs with a soldering gun. I'd say this cost about $120 of materials(flexwatt/wires/tape/screws/edging/melamine/pegboard) plus the Herpstat. Oh, I also need to put some metal tubing in the front to "lock" the tubs into place.

I hope I've done ok for my first try. Some of the tubs fit a little tighter or looser than others but none have close to enough clearance for even my 300gram BP to get through and the tight ones aren't so tight where I have to force the tub in. They might be a little tricky when the flexwatt goes in but it should still be fine. I'd rather it be nice and tight personally.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: First attempt at DIY rack. Eight 41qt tub rack.

That's a fine looking rack. You may want to consider wheels for future ones.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    That's a fine looking rack. You may want to consider wheels for future ones.
    Wheels you say... I hadn't thought of that... I might have to run out to home depot again soon then lol. I can still install them easily, problem is that the melamine warped a little when I was putting it together so I'm not sure how level the bottom is.

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Nice looking rack. I like the idea of the 41qt's being sideways idea. I've been thinking about building a rack like that.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

If they were deep it would stick out way too far. If you want to copy, shelves are 17"x34.5" which fits the 41 qt tubs perfectly. For spacing I just used the tub set on some blank CDs. Extremely easy especially once I got the kickplate on flush and leveled the bottom shelf. This is all using 3/4" melamine.

Thanks

Done. At least the 4 shelves that I need for tomorrow morning are done. Temps seem good, waiting for the humidity to level out but it should be fine. I have a mister ready to go if its not enough. Still debating on going with aspen shavings instead of newspaper... I'll probably go get some aspen tomorrow lol.

Thanks

Very nice rack. I just finished mine too. Your first attempt beats my first attempt by a long shot. Obviously the superior carpenter lol. Seriously though that's cool.
    ]