Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

1 members and 3,146 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HR 669 Update

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

HR 669 Update

(from the NOHR669.com blog ... http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=245)

As most people are aware, Marshall Meyers is the CEO and General Council for the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC). He has dedicated over 36 years of his life to protecting the rights and interests of the pet industry as a whole. That means everyone; from the national retailers, distributers, and wholesalers of both animals and pet products, to importers and exports, to smaller scale breeders, hobbyists, and individual pet owners.

Since 1970, there has never been a time when PIJAC has even come close to “selling out” one segment of the pet industry in favor of another. They have a proven track record of fighting for everyone. Whether it’s been a ban on dog breeding, importation issues relating to birds, giant python restrictions, or any of the tens of thousands of other pieces of legislation that would impact the pet industry negatively, for almost four decades, PIJAC has been out in front fighting for all of us.

Since starting the NOHR669.com website in early April, I’ve been lucky enough to get to know Marshall Meyers personally and have been extremely impressed by his dedication to protecting the rights of everyone involved with pets in any way. The hours he puts in and the time he dedicates go far above and beyond what anyone could reasonably expect from someone in his position.

Having heard the “internet rumors” circulating over the last week or so, I took the time to go visit Marshall at the PIJAC offices in Washington D.C. on Friday to confront him about these issues face to face. Marshall was gracious enough to spend about 4 ½ hours with my wife and I and let us get a behind the scenes look in to the work that PIJAC does. We saw first hand the numerous assaults that are coming our way from people that wish to end the pet trade in the United States completely. It truly is a terrifying time for pet owners in this country. We need to stand together now more than ever. If there is an issue of concern, we need to communicate rather than throw stones. If there is an issue of trust, we need to sit down face to face and resolve it rather than turn our backs on each other and be left with nothing. If we can’t figure out a way to swallow our pride, confront our fears, and work together … we stand to lose everything that we love and have worked so hard for.

Based on my conversations with Marshall, here is where we currently stand:

According to Marhsall, PIJAC is working on efforts (both legal and scientific) based on the Federal Invasive Species Management Plan to address the concerns brought up at the April 23rd hearing about species that are truly invasive. This work is on going and will take some time, but as soon as it is completed it will be shared with everyone.

In its 36+ year history, PIJAC has never supported a “white list” or “clean list” approach to invasive species management and it does not now, nor will it in the future. PIJAC believes that following the Federal Invasive Species Management Plan is the best way to address species that are truly invasive. Marshall denies that PIJAC is working on any compromises involving a “white list” or “clean list” and there are certainly no secret meetings taking place between PIJAC and HSUS.

Many people in the reptile community are concerned about PIJACs National Reptile Improvement Plan (NRIP) and how it might be related to HR 669 – Marshall is adamant that NRIP has absolutely nothing to do with HR 699. It is a completely voluntary industry accreditation program that is available to anyone that feels that they might benefit from it. It’s been around for many years before HR 669. Almost every large industry in the United States has a group like PIJAC that represents them and those groups often have “best practices” or “accreditation” programs like PIJAC does with NRIP. Some members of those groups choose to seek accreditation, others do not.

Marshall welcomes any questions or concerns from both PIJAC members as well as non-members. He can be contacted through the PIJAC website at www.pijac.org.
    I have a bunch of additional information to share on the NOHR669.com blog and will work over the next couple of days to have it all posted. If there are any direct questions for me, or if there’s any way that I can help at all, please don’t hesitate to contact me at info@nohr669.com.

Thank you.

Adam Wysocki
    www.nohr669.com
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

2. The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

2kdime (05-06-2009),asplundii (05-06-2009),blackcrystal22 (06-05-2009),Blu Mongoose (05-06-2009),Bobbyson (05-20-2009),Caskin (05-06-2009),dr del (05-06-2009),DragonBalls (05-06-2009),Freakie_frog (05-06-2009),GoFride (06-24-2009),gp_dragsandballs (05-19-2009),Hulihzack (05-19-2009),Jyson (05-06-2009),Kaorte (06-29-2009),kc261 (05-06-2009),Kysenia (05-08-2009),Ladydragon (05-06-2009),LaFilleClochette (05-19-2009),Louis Kirkland (05-06-2009),mainbutter (05-06-2009),Marg (05-10-2009),MarkS (05-06-2009),Midwest Morphs (05-06-2009),Mitch21 (05-06-2009),monk90222 (05-06-2009),Muze (05-06-2009),nwheat (05-20-2009),PythonWallace (05-06-2009),RebelYell83 (05-06-2009),RichsBallPythons (05-06-2009),roosterman2173 (05-20-2009),Royal Morphz (05-06-2009),Shadera (05-06-2009),Spaniard (05-06-2009),Stewart_Reptiles (05-06-2009),stormwulf133 (05-06-2009),stratus_020202 (05-06-2009),sweety314 (05-08-2009),TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-01-2009),Twinkle (05-20-2009),Whitney (06-06-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: HR 669 Update

Adam, thanks for posting this. In any large group of people you're always going to have a fringe element spreading their paranoia and conspiracy theories. It's good to get information like this directly from the source.

Personally I think PIJAC has done a wonderful job of speaking out for our side. I'm not a business or make my living from the pet industry, I'm just a small time breeder who has enjoyed keeping and breeding various species of reptiles for many many years. How can I as a small time hobbiest show my support for this organization?
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Bobbyson (05-20-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

The amount of disinformation circulating around about Marshall, PIJAC and the NRIP is embarrassing. The chicken-lippers should be ashamed of themselves.

Secret sell-out meetings, double-secrert probabtion white-lists, sinister back door deals with the snake and gecko mills.................I guess the tin-foil hats are on a bit too tight....................

The years of work that both PIJAC and Marshall have put in on behalf of safeguarding our rights speaks for itself.

Thanks

Oh, no. They got Adam!

Thanks for the update, Adam, and thanks for all the time and hard work you are putting into this for the benefit of everyone.

Thank you!

Thank you for joining PIJAC! A PIJAC staff member will contact you shortly to confirm your membership information and make payment arrangements.

Thank you for your support and participation in PIJAC.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Adam, just wanted to say thanks personally. I appreciate you taking the time to do the work you are.

The comment about "chicken lippers" is one that kind of irritates me. The fringe is present in every grouping, some more outspoken than others as is proven by some of our Fringers.

However, some of them are truly convinced that what they say is truth. Whether they do or not though, so long as we are so free to spurn and just plain be mean, our opponents have a much easier challenge.

There's a time and a place for ridicule and mocking which are quite different from having a difference of opinion with.

We need to choose whose throats need chomping with greater care than usual.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Adam, just wanted to say thanks personally. I appreciate you taking the time to do the work you are.

The comment about "chicken lippers" is one that kind of irritates me. The fringe is present in every grouping, some more outspoken than others as is proven by some of our Fringers.

However, some of them are truly convinced that what they say is truth. Whether they do or not though, so long as we are so free to spurn and just plain be mean, our opponents have a much easier challenge.

There's a time and a place for ridicule and mocking which are quite different from having a difference of opinion with.

We need to choose whose throats need chomping with greater care than usual.
    The intent wasn't to chomp anyone's throat.....and I get what you are saying......

I think there are some honest people in our community who have been misled as these rumors have evolved through the grapevine.

However this has always been a contentious community. It just seems that some people are using this whole environment as an excuse to re-open old wounds or take pot-shots at people they perceive as their rivals.

I think conspiracy theories are one thing, Wes, and it's easy to dismiss these theories when there is nothing at stake. However, the fringe seems to be unusually large and well-represented here. If we're feeling charitable, we can rationalize the attempts at misrepresenting the NRIP being attributable to a lack of reading comprehension or even a heightened sense of post-hr669 suspicion.

However when people like Marshall and Brian are singled out by name as people not to trust, it becomes harder to dismiss it at just being "the fringe"and even harder to let it go in the interest of preserving community unity - especially when they seem so intent on destroying it for what seems selfish reasons.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

There are some who are decieved into thinking rumors are true. Some are convinced by those deceived.
    Others are told by those convinced.
    And thus does a lie gain merit into "possibilty", and further into "must be".

The ones to look into are the first who decieved. Who orignated the rumors? Who has professed to "know" that secret deals are happening? Who told the first lie?

There are always those who will believe the worst of anyone, esepcially when it can make their own side look better. Some believe that it is easier to tear down everything else, rather than step up themselves to raise their status.

We need to stay calm and smart, and look for truth, and disregard rumor. Look at who has helped the community, and who has goaded us to action, and who has stood up for our rights.
    PIJAC, and USARK, and NOHR669, and SEVERAL big time breeders, including but not limited to Ralph Davis, NERD, BHB, 8Ball, and MANY many others ALL helped make this a success in raising our awareness, and getting us stirred to help ourselves. Don't let rumor-mongering by a few people spoil the effort, nor cause any divide between us.

Only my humble thoughts.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

sweety314 (07-01-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    How can I as a small time hobbiest show my support for this organization?
    Mark,

The best suggestion I have is to join PIJAC as an affiliate ... https://www.pijac.org/membership/forms/index.asp. There is strength in numbers for sure and PIJAC really needs the membership dues.

I'd also encourage everyone in the reptile hobby/trade to support and join USARK. We need to stand together and USARK is the definitive voice of all reptile keepers.

If you keep birds or fish, join organizations involved in supporting those hobbys.

Also, spread the word. The more people that we all can educate about the joy of keeping pets and interacting with these amazing creatures the less of a hold that the "pet prohibitionists" will have on our lives.

I know that times are tough and money is tight for everyone right now, but if you're spending at least $12 a week on reptile food, bedding, electric, and/or other supplies, membership in BOTH PIJAC and USARK is less than 10% of your total annual expenses. A small price to pay to protect your rights to keep your animals.

Both of these organizations are our best bet at fighting the groups that want to end all pet ownership in the United States.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

Marg (05-10-2009),MarkS (05-06-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    The amount of disinformation circulating around about Marshall, PIJAC and the NRIP is embarrassing. The chicken-lippers should be ashamed of themselves.

Secret sell-out meetings, double-secrert probabtion white-lists, sinister back door deals with the snake and gecko mills.................I guess the tin-foil hats are on a bit too tight....................

The years of work that both PIJAC and Marshall have put in on behalf of safeguarding our rights speaks for itself.
    I agree that the unsubstantiated rumors being spread are extremely disappointing in these desperate time. The anti-pet organizations have non-native species keepers like most of us in their sights and unity is the only weapon we really have to fight them.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to put anyone down or call names ... there is just a lot of confusion and fear in the reptile community right now and different people are reacting in different ways. Some unfortunately are not so productive.

It's my hope that through communication and a positive attitude towards putting aside differences and working together that we can stand up to those that wish to take away everything that we love.

Please stay positive and try and extend a welcoming hand to those that you disagree with. Even if they push it away the first time, keep trying ... it's our only hope.

-adam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    Oh, no. They got Adam!

Thanks for the update, Adam, and thanks for all the time and hard work you are putting into this for the benefit of everyone.
    Hey Jake,

My main motivation is certainly a selfish one. I'm honestly terrified of losing everything that I'm been working my a$$ off over the years to build up. I love my animals and the thought of them being taken away keeps me up at night.

That said, I'm willing to do whatever I have to in order to take a stand against this anti-pet agenda. I believe it's time that we all stand up and say "NO MORE". I'll keep going until I feel confident that I don't have anything left to worry about and do my best to keep everyone informed along the way.

If there's anything that I could be doing better, please don't hesitate to give me a smack in the head and say so. I just want to help as best I can.

-adam

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

Marg (05-10-2009)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast