Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,607

1 members and 2,606 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Randomly Aggressive?

Hey, just a quick question about my BP. I've had her for about 3 months now, and shes been great, didnt eat for the first month, but after, shes been great at eating, very docile and just no problems at all. But within the last week or so, it seems like shes been very aggressive, she struck at me for the first time when I went to clean her cage out (at night, while she was awake), she seems like she follows me around (you know that fast kind of motions right before they eat) almost like she'd eat me if I was smaller (lol). But there have been no changes in anything, not picking her up any more than I usually do, no excess noise, no feeding changes, but she just seems more aggressive. Is this normal, or is there a certain time of year it might happen, or might there be something deeper bothering her?

Thanks for the help.
    0.1 Normal BP - Steak

Thanks

Re: Randomly Aggressive?

Is she in shed? Does her belly look pink, or maybe cloudy blue eyes? Also, some information about your husbandry might help. What are her temps and humidity? Is she getting enough to eat? Are you waiting 48 hrs after feeding her before handling? Make sure you are washing your hands before and after each handling session.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

It could be a few things. The first is that you could have the scent of something on you that she wants to eat; for example, a rat or cat. The second is that she may be stress out. This may be because of the enclosure that you have her in, she may not like her hide, or your temps / humidity may not be in the correct range. A third is that she may be in shed.

Do you wash your hands before holding her? What are you keeping her in? What type of hide(s) are you using? What are you using to heat? What are you using to control heat? How is your humidity?
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    Is she in shed? Does her belly look pink, or maybe cloudy blue eyes? Also, some information about your husbandry might help. What are her temps and humidity? Is she getting enough to eat? Are you waiting 48 hrs after feeding her before handling? Make sure you are washing your hands before and after each handling session.
    I haven't noticed any signs of shedding yet, but I kind of backed off the past few days to make sure I didn't upset her at all. The temps stay a consistant 90-93 on the hot side, and 83-85 on the cooler side, with a humidity of around 45-55. I play it safe and wait about 2-3 days after feeding to handle, and I'm really safe about washing my hands (clean freak). For the cage, I've got reptibark, 2 hides, and some tree branch thing I got from petsmart for her to climb on. I keep feeding consistant as possible.
    0.1 Normal BP - Steak

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xKxLxHx View Post
    I haven't noticed any signs of shedding yet, but I kind of backed off the past few days to make sure I didn't upset her at all. The temps stay a consistant 90-93 on the hot side, and 83-85 on the cooler side, with a humidity of around 45-55. I play it safe and wait about 2-3 days after feeding to handle, and I'm really safe about washing my hands (clean freak). For the cage, I've got reptibark, 2 hides, and some tree branch thing I got from petsmart for her to climb on. I keep feeding consistant as possible.
    Is she in a glass aquarium?
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Maybe she's hungry.
    Is she getting the appropriate sized prey item for her size?
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Yep, shes in a 20G long glass container. Shes still less than a year old, I believe she turns 1 in July. And the strike first happened about 3 days after she ate, so I ruled out being hungry, but even still she's never done that before.
    0.1 Normal BP - Steak

Thanks

Are the sides and back covered? Maybe she's just feeling insecure. Or, she could have fallen off one of the branches at night, and made her a little grumpy. Do you clean her cage frequently? Maybe its lingering smell of a mouser.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well, what sized prey items are you feeding her? They can down a lot more food than you think.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    Are the sides and back covered? Maybe she's just feeling insecure.
    I agree, covering the sides and back may help to make her feel more secure.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast