Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 987

3 members and 984 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally Getting a BP For Myself

I've finally gotten the O.K. to get myself a BP. I've grown fascinated ever since I started working at my local Pet Shop in early November. Ever since I've been doing as much research as I possibly can.

I plan on getting my BP from a reputable breeder. Either a Spider, Pastel, Mojave, or a really nice Normal.

I just want to make sure my 'to get' list has everything and that I am not missing anything important.

- Glass Aquarium (20 Gallon Long with locking screen top)
    - Light Fixture and 50W Bulb (I know I'll definitely need this as my house temperatures aren't stable)
    - 2 Identical Hides
    - 1 Water Dish
    - Aspen Bedding
    - Zoo Med 10-20 Gallon UTH
    - Zoo Med Repti Temp 500R Thermostat (I know this isn't the best but I will only be controlling one UTH with this)
    - Digital Hygrometer
    - 2 Drift Wood Pieces

It will cost me about 250 for all of these supplies brand new. Good? Bad? Let me know.

After I get all of the supplies I will be doing some test runs for a while to get all my readings perfect before bringing the BP home.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

Registered User grim reaper in NY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Finally Getting a BP For Myself

First of all, congrats on getting your first B/P. You will become addicted in short order, that's for sure.
    As for your supply list, the only thing I would make sure you have is a bowl big enough for your snake to soak in should he or she feel the desire to do that. Other than that, making sure the temps and humidity are right beforehand is absolutely key to ensuring a smooth transition to your snake's new home. I try not to clutter their tanks too much so they have room to move about and so forth without feeling cramped. That's just me though. My Red Tail Boa likes having a cluttered tank vs. a somewhat empty one as he loves to slither around everything and bask on practically everything in the tank. I find my Balls are just the opposite though and prefer some free space to roam.
    Anyways, good luck and congrats agaon on your first snake. it sounds like you've got a great plan going and your attention to detail only furhter reinforces the fact you'll make and excellent Ball Python owner! Make sure you post pics when you get it home!
    Later,

Bri

0.1 - Pastel Ball Python
    2.0 - Normal Ball Pythons

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grim reaper in NY For This Useful Post:

Sarin (04-30-2009)

Thanks

Hi Sarin! -waves- I'm not sure if you remember me from the perch or not...

Congrats! Sounds like your new scalekid is gonna be spoiled.
    `*`

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

Sarin (04-30-2009)

Thanks

Yup. I already know about all the temperatures needed and all that fun stuff. Thanks! And I do remember you Shadera.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Can you show us where that all equals $250? Usually you can do some DIY stuff for the hides.

Don't forget a digital thermometer with a probe and a digital thermometer to measure the amient temp.
    ~Steffe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Sarin (04-30-2009)

Thanks

If you plan on getting a hatchling from a reputable breeder it will not be used to the large floor space of a 20g. I suggest either a 15q tub or a 10g tank.

You also need a couple probe thermometers to go under the substrate.
    Don't spend too much on decorations like branches or trees yet. Get him settled, then decorate with the room you have. You could easily overspend on this stuff and have too little space for the wood. Also, the water dish can be pretty small. They don't need to soak, I use little ceramic cups for mine and they clean well and work fine.

With the heat lamp, make sure to get some moss and maybe put that in a ceramic cup with water to up the humidity. That way, the heat lamp is more viable (though you'll probably need to get a 2 dollar mister from petsmart and mist every day).

If you got a mojave for a first snake, it would be a first really smokin animal! It would be the first time I've heard of it happening too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

Sarin (04-30-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grim reaper in NY View Post
    First of all, congrats on getting your first B/P. You will become addicted in short order, that's for sure.
    As for your supply list, the only thing I would make sure you have is a bowl big enough for your snake to soak in should he or she feel the desire to do that. Other than that, making sure the temps and humidity are right beforehand is absolutely key to ensuring a smooth transition to your snake's new home. I try not to clutter their tanks too much so they have room to move about and so forth without feeling cramped. That's just me though. My Red Tail Boa likes having a cluttered tank vs. a somewhat empty one as he loves to slither around everything and bask on practically everything in the tank. I find my Balls are just the opposite though and prefer some free space to roam.
    Anyways, good luck and congrats agaon on your first snake. it sounds like you've got a great plan going and your attention to detail only furhter reinforces the fact you'll make and excellent Ball Python owner! Make sure you post pics when you get it home!
    Balls don't like space to roam. If they are roaming, it's because they are stressed from the space, and that's a bad thing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

Sarin (04-30-2009)

Thanks

Yup, almost forgot about the digital thermometers. I don't mind spending a little extra to make things look pretty since this will be a display tank. (I realize BP's aren't display animals, though.) I know that a hatchling BP may not feel comfortable in a 20 Gallon Long but I will not know exactly what I will be getting until I have a look for myself. If it is a young BP, I will divide the tank in two until he/she outgrows it. I am getting the $250 figure from the following:

- Glass Aquarium (20 Gallon Long with locking screen top) $80.00
    - Light Fixture and 50W Bulb $25.00 + $11.00
    - 2 Identical Hides $6.00-$12.00 ea
    - 1 Water Dish $10.00-$15.00
    - Aspen Bedding $8.00
    - Zoo Med 10-20 Gallon UTH $30.00
    - Zoo Med Repti Temp 500R Thermostat $30.00 (plus shipping and Canadian exchange rate)
    - Digital Hygrometer $15.00 ish
    - 2 Drift Wood Pieces $10.00 ea
    - Digital Thermometer $15.00 ish (could I get a digital thermometer with multiple probes or will it be cheaper to go with two separate thermometers instead?)

Total: $260.00 - $273.00

I am probably being charged a lot for these supplies but I will be getting a deal since I am buying most of these supplies from the store I work at. I need to build a stand/future rack system which I am unsure of the price yet. Need to check out how much it'll cost.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

You can get an Accu-Rite Indoor/Outdoor thermometer that will also tell humidity at Lowes or Wal-mart for about $12 each. It has a probe that you can run over to the warm hide and I set the unit near the cool hide and run the wire under the substrate. At Wal-mart they are located in the Hardware section. At Lowes I found them in the Outdoor/ Lawn/ Garden section...

Also if you have problems with the temp/ humidity, let me know and I'll post the pics of what I did to my screen top that worked wonders

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Sarin (04-30-2009)

Thanks

Thanks! That'll definitely save me a few bucks then.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast