Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

2 members and 3,114 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Best harness/leash for Sav. Monitor

Interesting thread. I think a lot of the people posting "don't do that" replies are people who have never owned monitors/tegus.

Some of these animals can become accustomed to harnesses. My large male Argentine Black&White tegu took to one very well. We walked him around the yard, gently tugging him away from places he wasn't allowed to go (under the shed, into the pond and through the fence). After a couple of days, we took the harness off as he is very old (we believe 12+, as he was a rescue) and doesn't move like a youngster any more. Whenever he headed towards the "off-limits" areas, I strongly said "No", and he turned around. In fact, with the whole yard at his disposal, he would still seek me out and claw at my legs to be picked up. He still enjoys the yard in summer, along with our female, though she is still harnessed as she is only 4 and likes to do things her way. Unfortunately, he has cancer and we're not sure how much longer he will be with us.

I also had a water monitor that took to a harness quite well, and was used for educational shows at over 6 feet. And a Nile monitor who, though never harnessed, was allowed free roam of the reptile room when supervised and would take rats from your hand gentler than a dog getting table scraps. And this "doomed" tame monitor lived for over 16 years.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

Here is our male Arg. We were treating him after one of his four surgeries and he realized that

Last edited by dr del; 05-19-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: trying to fix pic link for you
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com

Thanks

Sorry, got cut off...

Can't see the pic either?!

Chris

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com

Thanks

Let's try again...

Chris

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Ah sorry,

Didn't realise you were still working on this.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Yeah, sorry.

I'm at work and getting called away all the time, and I've never posted here before.

Went to the stickies and watched the video. Thanks.

Anyway, after one of his four surgeries we were treating him and he realized that if he crawls on us we stop poking-prodding. He's awesome.

Chris

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com

Thanks

Your still not going to be able to get it on most monitors on a leash without stressing them out and you will have to re strange them or put them on when there cold. Another thing to think about is how most monitors behavior changes dramatically when they are brought outside as all the noise and open space scares them. You are comparing them to tegus but they are very different from one another when being outside and in general attitudes/disposition. Due you got any pics of the nile and im sorry to hear about the tegu having cancer.

You may be able to get away with it with savannahs,black throats and possibly waters some are more mellow/calm then other species but there are still alot of dangers that can happen with them being on a leash and not all will have the same personality. They can get tangled up or if they get loose good luck catching it.

You can try to put a leash on an Argus monitor but i doubt you will get it on and there not so forgiving. If one of these get loose you will never catch them, they can run up to 25 MPH

Bryan

Thanks

I understand the harness thing completely, especially for educational purposes. Yes, maybe most reptile people know that you actually shouldn't put a leash on a lizard, but most AVERAGE people - the folks we try to educate - do not know that and in fact feel 'safer' when a large lizard is 'restrained'.

I worked at a zoo with the education department, and we were required to place harnesses and leashes on the large lizards, the ferrets, the chinchilla, and the birds whenever they went out anywhere. This was more for public feelings of safety than to 'control' the animal, and the animal was always being held as well.

Having a monitor or iguana harness trained is a good thing, even if you never take them out, because the time may come when you have to put them into it just to have them out. A large outdoor enclosure is best for sunning any reptile, of course, but what about those of us who can't do that?
    I live in an apartment, and so for my animals to get sunlight I have to take them out into a public area with lots of children. Only if I had a portable pen (which I plan on building) or harness could I put them down to enjoy the sun. I'm actually looking into finding a harness for my BTS so I can take him out into the grass.

Bottom line here - harnesses may not be 'natural' for large lizards, and can in fact stress them out if you don't train them properly... but for anyone who plans on taking their lizard outside around the general public, especially for educational reasons, harnesses are a good thing to get your animal used to. You just have to make sure you know what you're doing. And the OP really seems to know.

As to the original question of a new harness, I would go with a small cat/dog harness and make sure you keep the receipt just in case.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123