Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,432

0 members and 1,432 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

A little harmony

I wrote this a good while back for my students and fellow aikido-ka. If you aren't familiar with the martial art of aikido it's one of those arts that uses redirection of energy, joint locks and throws as opposed to hard blocks, punches and kicks. Very effective but much more flowing and "old guy" friendly. Enjoy.

Why we bow
    During a recent conversation with a co-worker about the art of aikido in general and the art of Nihon Goshin Aikido specifically I was asked; "Why do all you guys bow when you walk onto the mat?". My first thought was to give the standard answer that we bow to show respect for all those who have trained in the art before us to make it what it is, for all of those who train now to continue the art and for those who will train in the future. That was my first thought and automatically that was the answer that I gave. Later, while on the road, though, I realized that that is only a very small part of the reason why we "Bow in." The rest of the reason is this...

On your right shoulder is an invisible weight. It's name is Ego and makes you think you are better than others.On your left shoulder is another weight. It's name is Self Doubt. It makes you think others are better than you.As we walk through our daily lives we compensate for these two weights by moving in one way to compensate for the Ego and another for the Self Doubt. It just depends on which weight is heavier. When the Ego is heavier we may hold our shoulders back, and our heads a little higher than it should be. Having your chin up too high just makes it an easier target for someones' sword. A disdainful look for others on our faces tells the world that our weight is heavy, indeed. The weight of Self Doubt causes our shoulders to roll forward, our head to hang a little too low so that we must look up to look anyone in the eye. Having the back of your neck stretched out like that just makes it an easier target for someones' sword. A timid look on our faces tells the world that that weight is heavy as well. The constant weight of these two things make us walk in a robotic, off balance fashion. They keep us from turning our heads to look around us and see the world that is passing us by. They weigh not just on our bodies but on our minds and spirits as well, keeping all three from moving freely and to their greatest potential.

When we bow at the edge of the training mat it is, indeed, to honor others and the traditions of our art. It is also to tilt the body forward so that both the Ego and Self Doubt that is weighing us down have no choice but to fall from our shoulders to the training mat. This frees the body, mind and spirit to move fluidly and unfettered. If we are not feeling the weight of Ego and Self Doubt we are free to feel the energy that is ever present in the dojo. Once you can feel this energy you can flow with it and then you are truly free.

When our training session is done we bow when leaving the training area. There, on the mat in front of you are your old enemies Ego and Self Doubt. As you lean forward in your bow will you pick them up again? Or will you whisper a quiet "Good Bye."? For me I'll tell them good bye every time knowing that a little of their weight will follow me home. As I follow the path before me in Nihon Goshin Aikido I can only hope that, eventually, I will out pace the two weights and will walk with true balance in mind, body and spirit. I wish you the best in your training and I hope to see you on the path.

Thanks

Re: A little harmony

That is really well written I think ^_^ I think that is something that everyone should think about in the morning, as well as when in martial arts. Thanks for sharing it!
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tweets_4611 For This Useful Post:

The Letch (04-29-2009)

Thanks

Re: A little harmony

Very well written--I enjoyed reading it, and it's a very thoughtful thing to have come up with. Indeed, it's something to think about, because it really rings true.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seneschal For This Useful Post:

The Letch (05-30-2009)