Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

0 members and 2,895 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Unwritten rules of selling hatchling Ball Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    I personally only sell a baby when it has eaten at least 3 times. (And had the first shed).
    Same here.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    Same here.
    Me, too.....mostly. I have in the past sold hatchlings as "problem feeders" to others for a discount. There are some who like to work with problem hatchlings and like to take on the challenge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    I do however disagree with putting a hatchling thru all the stresses of being on a show table for 2 or 3 days... Maybe I am just an over protective parent...
    i agree with that as well, however, many do as i do and keep babies "in the back", not exposed to the public. they are mentioned, and if a probable buyer is really interested, one can be brought out. the most stress there is in transport, which if in tubs is not too drastic if you drive safely....

wow, i'm good at run-ons....

but yeah, don't hurt the babies! health should always be priority #1

Thanks

When I finally have babies to sell I'm going to wait until they've fed about 5 times. Not only do I want the hatchling to have a good start and thrive in its new home but I think its smart for someone in my situation. I don't have a huge collection and when I do start to sell it won't be many animals. Selling a well started animal in my opinion would cut back on the likelyhood of any problems happening while in my customers care that I may have to reinburse for whether it be monetary or a replacement animal.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think making sure they've shed 3 or 4 times before you sell them is a bit excessive, but I won't sell anything until it's shed at least once and fed on it's own three or four times (assist feedings don't count) Of course these animals are individuals and it's always a judgment call when determining the saleability of any individual animal. If I don't feel they're ready to go to another owner, I don't sell them no matter how many sheds or meals they've had.

I disagree with the practice of displaying hatchlings for show. I don't bring anything to a show that I wouldn't feel comfortable selling. I know that some of the biggest names in the business will do that, even having displays on their tables of babies actually hatching out of their eggs. Some of the biggest names will even sell them as soon as they crawl out of their shells with a belly full of yolk and everything. I guess if people feel comfortable doing that with their own animals then who am I to tell them they can't? It's just not something that I'd ever feel comfortable about doing myself.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

DLena (09-21-2017),josh@outbackreps (04-27-2009)

Thanks

I totally agree with you Mike. The owners of the reptile store where I buy my insect feeders from are used to buying their normal BPs right out of the egg & then feeding them a few times before selling them. So they want to buy all of my normals from me-right out of the egg. I know they would probably be able to get them started, but I can't do it. I told them my babies have to have 4 meals in them before they leave my house. I'm sure I won't be selling them for any more than where they get them out of the egg, but I'll be able to sleep at night. I truly believe that if you give reptiles in general a good start, their chances of making to a long life are much higher.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Muze For This Useful Post:

DLena (09-21-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

we wait until 3rd shed,and they must be eating strong,if its spotty then we wait until 4 continous meals after the 3rd shed

Thanks

I will definately not sell an animal until it is established to the general public. If I am selling one to someone who I know that I know , knows (thats alot of knows yu know )
    knows what they are doing, who is experienced and aware that their new baby needs that extra help thats the only exception.
    I kept back some trouble feeders last year and still have them, though they ae feeding fine now, Im just got attched to them. But thats ok always room for one more.
    point is I dont feel right sending them to a home unprepared.
    1.0 50% het clown 1.0 50% het lavender 2.6 normal bp 1.0 normal poss axanthic 1.0 het pied bp 1.0 yellow belly 1.0 mojave bp 2.0 spider bp 2.1 pastel bp1.1 Cinnamon bp
    7.0 corns - normal motley stripe het snow,anery a het hypo, snow, red candy cane, motley stripe orange candy cane, anery motley possible ghost , butter motley 0.6 corns -amel,high white amel,creamsicle,ghost, snow, orange candy cane 1.0 albino jungle corn, 1.0 mexican black king, 1.0 california king, 1.0 milk snake 0.1 kenyan sand boa 0.1 dummerils boa 1.1 bci normal, 0.1 pastel bci,0.1 kahl albino bci,1.0 salmon het kahl albino bci, 0.1 guatamalan boa 0.1 hogg island boa 1.0 JCP 0.1 woma python 3.0 leos-normal,blizzard,rw albino,rw b blizzard 0.7 leos-normal,hypo tangerine,mack snow,albino, rwb blizzard,raptor, rw albino 0.1 C. Turneri (thick toed gecko)1.1 crested gecko0.1rose hair T. 0.0.1 black emporer scorpion
    1.0 beardie

http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com Kryptonian Reptiles now on Facebook

Banned
    Thanks

I DONT KNOW MY REPTILE SHOP SOLD ME A BABY AND GUESS WHAT IT WAS JUST SHEDDING HE DIDNT EVEN HAVE IT ALL OFF YET ... I TOOK HIM HOME GOT IT OFF ... HE DIDNT EAT FOR THREE WEEKS MAN .... I TOOK HIM BACK AND GOT MOJO JOJO .... really thats bad coming from a reptile shop ... but i gotta say Mojo Jojo is doing great with me now .... they had in a cuby not bigger than a shoe box ... horrible his home now is like a jungle compared to that small thing .... tisk tisk on you bad dreeders

Thanks

When I adopted out my clutch from last year( didn't sell them since they were not a planned event ). I had a post on craigslist that I had soem eggs that htch and would soon be ready. I didn't send any ofthem out until they had a minium of 3 meals and crapped at least once. I had a guy that wanted the one I end up keeping ( since she was a refusing to eat) I told him that she was not ready to go do to the fact she refusign to eat..

I end up keeping her, after i forced fed her 2-3 time she started on her own and beeing doing great ever since. I think I was stessing out more than the snake did the entire time.
    once she got the meal past the back of her outh she did the rest but trying ot get rat pinkies into her was a royal nightmare. and I don't want to gothough that again if I can prevent it!

BUt I agree a minium number of feeds should be a set rul/ requirement. I know the 3 snakes I got at the show last year had eaten at least 2 times.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast